Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Negative masks for Durst Grahalon and how to use it

Negative masks for Durst Grahalon and how to use it

Hi, I've a durst 139 with cls 300 color head.

With this enlarger , that I use it for 4x5 and 5x7 negative, there is the grahalon negative holder . It isn't a regular negative holder with masks.

How can I use this? It is more difficult then my Durst m805 negative holder.

could anyone help me?

Thank you and sorry for my bad english

E

Drew Wiley

Re: Negative masks for Durst Grahalon and how to use it

This is meant to project serial separation negatives or masks in register for specialized processes like dye transfer printing. For it's intended application you would need to have a matching registration punch and pin-registered contact printing frame to generate the separations and masks to begin with, which would have to be
    specially machined nowadays, since the matching original accessories are probably long gone. By itself you would just have to use it like an ordinary carrier, if it
    even still has the matching glass.

I want only print in the traditional way, without the registration pin. What I need for this way ? I've only this kind of neg carrier. Should I need to purchase two glass and after make a "sandwich" with the negative? How I put in the center of the glass? Thank you

Drew Wiley

It will be difficult to find official Durst glass for this; but there are other sources. I don't know where you are, but here in the US, Focal Point can provide custom
    cut carrier glass at a reasonable price. In terms of fitting smaller film sizes, you can just use thin cutout masks which surround your intended negative size. I like
    to use mylar sheet for this - actually old voided Cibachrome paper - cut to overall size on a print trimmer, then with the negative window carefully cut out with a
    razor blade or X-Acto knife. It's quite easy to do if you have a steady hand.

It may help if you post a photo of the masks & carrier. It may be worthwhile to look for a Nega 138 carrier, depending on what masks you have.

Luis

Drew Wiley

Yeah... It would be easier and probably cheaper just to locate a decent NEGA138 carrier. These can be all over the map in asking price, but every now and then
    a really nice one turns up quite affordably. It's easy enough to make insert masks for these too.

Hi, thank you for reply,
    I have something like this but called 138 :

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	big_1.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	52.4 KB 
ID:	130186

without glasses.
    Probably I can provide with a local artisan but I don't know the right sizes and thickness. So I don't know how to use it with 5x7 and 4x5 negatives

Drew Wiley

If you don't need pin registration, you just use it normally, with your negative placed in the center, with glass on both sides.

Where I can find the right sizes?

The Grahalon I thought was for 8x10 negatives. Your enlarger, the G139 is a 5x7 enlarger, so something does not seem right. If it's the Grane 138 carrier that you have, it's for pin registered negs, not to be used for the Ladane masks. You can certainly put your 5x7 & 4x5 negatives between the glass, but if you want to use glassless masks, I think you'll need a Nega 138 unless you have a metal holder fabricated to replace the glass & hold the masks. I'll post what I did to a Nega MC for this purpose when I get home. L