Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Member...Back into LF with a Newly acquired Linhof Technika...any info appreciate

New Member...Back into LF with a Newly acquired Linhof Technika...any info appreciate

Hello everyone.
    Just thought I'd introduce myself and say how much I've enjoyed the forum-decided to join.
    Long time photographer, just got back into large format with a recently acquired Linhof...
    Been a while since I had my hands on a 4x5 holder...shoot primarily 6x6 Hassie and 6x9 Fuji
    these days.

Is this a Linhof Technika Kardan Color?? Any clue on the era? Not looking to sell...I am so excited
    to have been given this gift to get me back into Large Format!

Maybe some of you can fill me in on it a bit...it came with 5 lenses...the camera is in incredible shape,
    almost like time forgot. It has a 6x9 back + spare insert , came with a ton of holders in mint shape
    and the following lenses:

250mm Rodenstock Imagon in a Copal No.3 Shutter
    300mm Rodenstock Apo-Ronar
    100mm Schneider Technika Xenotar
    121mm Schneider Technica Super-Angulon
    + Schneider Technika Enlarger lens

Only thing it needs is a replacement leather for the focusing glass...not rotten, just torn away
    from the viewing back area. The lenses look brand new...no fungus, haze or even dust.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Linhof Image.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	64.9 KB 
ID:	130036

Kind regards,
    Jason

Re: New Member...Back into LF with a Newly acquired Linhof Technika...any info apprec

Nice kit!
    Robert Oliver

Re: New Member...Back into LF with a Newly acquired Linhof Technika...any info apprec

Hi Robert,

I'm near you...up in Valley Center.

J

Glad to see another large format shooter in the area... Let me know if you ever want to get out and shoot.

I need to work on capturing the area where I live better! Tons to shoot around here

Quote Originally Posted by CropDusterMan View Post
    Hi Robert,

I'm near you...up in Valley Center.

J
    Robert Oliver

Yes, looks like a Linhof Kardan Color 4x5 (not a "Technika"). Could be as old as 1960, so would need to find a serial number or something to date it more accurately.

The serial number is a tab on the rear part by the right red knob, center facing front.
    It is a Linhof Color, although I'm confused regarding 'Kardan'.

I like the camera because it is compact, sets up quickly.

Mine is # 4321

Smile Re: New Member...Back into LF with a Newly acquired Linhof Technika...any info apprec

Jason - From what I can see in your picture, you have a Linhof 4X5 Color, not a Kardan Color. As far as I know, the red focusing knobs were only used on the Color and the Kardan Color had white knobs. There may have been a late version of the 4X5 Color with white knobs. I can't remember for sure.

A couple of links for the 4X5 Color:

http://www.cameraeccentric.com/html/info/linhof_5.html

http://camera-wiki.org/wiki/Linhof_Color_4x5

The Wiki entry gives the build era for the Color as 1958 to 1964 which sounds about right. I could check that by digging through a bunch of back issues of "International Photo Technik", the magazine published by Linhof, but I'm not that energetic. I'll consider the Wiki dates close enough.

And the 4X5 Kardan Color:

http://camera-wiki.org/wiki/Linhof_Kardan_Color

The main functional difference between the two models is the Kardan Color has rear rise and the ratcheting front rise like the Technika V.

Years ago I had a 4X5 Color with the pretty red knobs. It was slightly awkward to use in the field and I got a good deal on a Technika IV, so I sold the Color which I continue to regret. I still remember the silky smooth feel of the focusing with those big knobs. I should have kept the Color and just used it, slightly awkward or not. So have fun with yours, and don't sell it!

Len

Hey Gents,

Thanks for the replies. Ok, my unit is Serial #4492 and the top says "Color, but the ground glass rotating swing out cover says
    "Technika" with Linhofs beautiful Coat of Arms. It appears as though mine is missing the red plastic knob for the tripod
    collar clamp...not likely I'll find that anywhere soon...

The ground glass is in pretty good shape...some of the alignment lines have a little fog around them, but focus is
    easy and smooth. The camera also came with this cool Zeiss Ikon focus loup...very cool.

Are you all tray processing your films or using the likes of a Jobo 2500? I'm a PMK Pyro
    user with 35mm and 2 1/14. Thanks to all who are helping out, I am enjoying the education!

Best,
    J

Welcome!

Nice Linhof. I have one just like it-- also a "time forgot" situation, looks like it was never used. Very compact monorail- I need to make a case for it to make it easier to transport in the field. I love my Tecknika IV, but I think the Color would actually be faster to set up if I could case it well. It's probably a lot lighter than the Technika, come to think about it.

Quote Originally Posted by CropDusterMan View Post
    [...] my unit is Serial #4492 [...] It appears as though mine is missing the red plastic knob for the tripod collar clamp...not likely I'll find that anywhere soon...
    Our serial numbers are 171 apart, probably of the same batch. I might have a spare tripod collar knob; will look later today. It might be a standard 1/4" or 3/8" which you can find at Ace Hardware and certainly at McMaster-Carr regardless of thread.