Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 00 shutters for Super Angulon

Re: 00 shutters for SA

Anyone who has a shutter knows that at some point needs a CLA, because at some point to get worn out, so the best thing to do is send it off for a quick cleaning repair, if you don't want to do that and can find a cheaper priced duplicate just do that, there are plenty on eBay for cheap prices, I just picked up a 00 65mm SA from a forum member, it works but timing is way off and I knew that when getting it. Your last option if you really want to go crazy is to have S.K. Grimes insert the lens into a modern Copal 0 and deal with the larger shutter but the benefit of a modern one.

Ok guys, I heard back from one of the shops. To set my lens into a new copal 0 will start around $425. A cla of the lens will most likely not fix the problem as I had someone with more experience than myself look at it and they think it's toast. I could have them CLA it anyway but that's a $100 gamble with the odds against me and then I'd be stuck with a perfectly cla'd non functioning shutter.

I've checked auction sites and have been able to find lots of options, fujinon, schneider, etc. for less than the price of a new copal 0 from the shop. The main benefit of spending the money with the shop is that it's almost guaranteed to serve for several years without problem. Would you guys opt for a reshutter which could be well over $500 or just pick up a similar complete lens/shutter assembly second hand?

I've had a few lenses in the 00 over the last few years. I still have a 65mm SA, and now that SKGrimes has given it a CLA it's back to working well. However I really hate the 00 shutter operation. The need to use B to open the shutter is a major inconvenience to me, and not worth the light weight. So if I was you and liked the lens, I'd spend the bucks and have it put in a new shutter instead of trying to find another 00 sized shutter or matching lens.

I'm keeping the 65mm lens mainly to use it on the TravelWide, when that is finally finished. There the funny operation won't bother me, and the small size will be a major advantage.

multiplex

hi rodinalduchamps

sk grimes and zack both machine parts for shutters that have things that are broken
    or missing or don't work. they both have years of experience and both have great reputations.
    often times it is much more cost effective to repair +cla, even if it means having a small part machined
    than buying a new shutter, or hoping to find another lens and shutter that works. and i will bet
    both repair companies would have no trouble telling you " i can't do this, you are better off buying another one"
    if they couldn't do it ...

i've used both repair companies .. grimes (when steve was still with us, and with adam) , and mike at zack's ..
    i would have no worries giving either of them lenses, shutters or cameras that need to be repaired ...

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gebhardt View Post
    I've had a few lenses in the 00 over the last few years. I still have a 65mm SA, and now that SKGrimes has given it a CLA it's back to working well. However I really hate the 00 shutter operation. The need to use B to open the shutter is a major inconvenience to me, and not worth the light weight. So if I was you and liked the lens, I'd spend the bucks and have it put in a new shutter instead of trying to find another 00 sized shutter or matching lens.

I'm keeping the 65mm lens mainly to use it on the TravelWide, when that is finally finished. There the funny operation won't bother me, and the small size will be a major advantage.
    I just got a 65mm SA, I was surprised at the coverage which isn't even listed as covering 4x5 from what I can find, but almost illuminates 5x7!

But I was surprised at the missing T option and having to use B for focussing.

Does anyone know enough about shutters to say if SK Grimes can CHANGE the B to a T somehow? My standard shutter release doesn't lock (Too many issues with locking shutter releases sticking at the wrong moment).

I agree a CLA is a good idea, OR picking up a cheap second shutter that is in better shape and CLA that second one.

Or ask SK Grimes if they can put the lens into a Copal-0 somehow but send them a shutter.

You can pick up another lens with a good #0 shutter for £200/$300 or less.

Personally I'd buy a lens in a more friendly shutter, I have a 65mm SA in a Compur #00 and it's not the friendliest shutter to use for LF work, I have a spare Compur from an Ikonta with a very hazy Novar that I've kept just in case I need one but it has no cable release.

Going through my lenses & shutters I'd I'd now use a Prontor SVS or a SV, the SV on the Ikonta 523/16 has a cable release which is crucial. I paid £1/$1.5 for my Ikonta and the shutter/lens are like new - the camera was cheap because the black paint was flaking off.

I have a spare Novar/Prontor SV in Turkey, it's brand new, it came from a closed repair shop. I'm planning on fitting the Novar cells(which are coated) into the Compur on my Ikonta 520 as the existing lens is too hazy to use. The shutter will be spare, if my wife can find it you could have it for what I paid for it £7/$10.50, she's not back for 10 days though.

Ian

I am going to send it in and have them check it see what they think they can do

Quote Originally Posted by IanG View Post
    The other alternative is the Chinese #00 to #0 converters which allow #00 lens cells to be fitted to a #0 shutter, I think it would be wise to use a micrometer to check the spacings.

Ian
    Where are these converters available?

My search only turns up adapters to put a #00 shutter in a board with a #0 hole.

Quote Originally Posted by JimL View Post
    Where are these converters available?

My search only turns up adapters to put a #00 shutter in a board with a #0 hole.
    It was one of the Chines sellers who had them, I've not seen them for quite a time, I had meant to buy a set. I usually buy from Heavystar, Pacemaker lens boards, retaining rings for shutters etc but he has nothing listed nor does the other main Chinese supplier. It may be they sold so few they stopped making them. There was some discussion some years ago on APUG (I think) that there might be spacing issues with them, spacing is much more critical with WA lenses.

So sorry I don't know if they are still available.

Ian

How difficult is it to transplant the Ikonta's running gear on to a lens board?