Quote Originally Posted by RodinalDuchamp View Post
I have been struggling with my metering technique and hope someone can give me some insight.
However for now I need a system or method that will yield repeatable consistent good exposures.
I have attached a bad picture of a negative I found to be successful in exposure. I spot metered for the gravel in the foreground.
Edit: I just thought about getting one of those grey cards and spotting it if possible in the same light as the scene.
Attachment 129891
Keep it simple. Your neg is in the ballpark and you want to adjust. Limit variables with a standard lens, film (EI 400), illumination (sunlight) , exposure (sunny 16), development (Rodinal dilution/temp/agitation/time) and print paper (grade 2). Lose the meter(s), lose the zone system, lose the grey card, lose other complications, graduate with Father Guido Sarducci's 5-minute sensitometry degree by understanding: expose for acceptable above-toe (above threshold) shadow density and develop for the sub-shoulder highlight density to print on, for example, a grade 2 paper.

First, adjust exposure variable. If too thin, add a stop or two. If too dense, reduce by a stop or two.

Second, adjust development time variable. If shadow density is acceptable and highlights are too dense for printing on grade 2 paper, then reduce D-76 development time by a minute or two (more or less). If shadow density is acceptable and highlights are too thin, then increase D-76 development time by a minute or two (more or less as needed).

After a few rounds you will arrive at what you like with no grey card, no meter, no zones, no complications and simply by applying the take-away from Father Guido Sarducci's 5-minute sensitometry degree.

Have fun out there and don't sweat the unnecessary.

Steve, zoneless