Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: best glue for stainless steel.

best glue for stainless steel.

So I won't go into too much detail because it don't really matter I think, but my film holder for washing sits in a deep stainless tank. I need to glue a pvc pipe array directly onto the bottom to distribute the water evenly (if it sits any higher the film sticks out of the wash water or if there is anything like a screw head on top of the PVC pipe it pushes the film carrier up too). I have noticed over the years, when I glue the "feet" onto the bottom of the tank with super glue or silicone that it doesn't last. I have to re-glue one or two every few months if I use super glue or silicon (and that is with a thorough cleaning and sanding of the SS contact area). I have always thought this adhesive failure must be from expansion/contraction of the SS. Am I wrong about that assumption or is it something else? Anyway is there a better adhesive for gluing plastic to SS in a periodically wet environment? Is epoxy better?
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Re: best glue for stainless steel.

Stainless is impervious to most everything but I'd try epoxy even though epoxy doesn't stick to pvc all that well.
    Bolts or screws with rubber washers would be permanent.

Quote Originally Posted by vinny View Post
    Stainless is impervious to most everything but I'd try epoxy even though epoxy doesn't stick to pvc all that well.
    Bolts or screws with rubber washers would be permanent.
    Thanks. Its hard to explain but bolts and screws are a no go in this situation. I made it work half assed that way for the last 20 years, but it means I have to flip the film half way through the wash as the film at one end of the washer just ever so slightly breaks the surface on one end. I have pulled this puppy apart to redo it just to get the film deeper but it really needs adhering the pipe system directly to the bottom of the tank if at all possible. And even so I would like a better adhesive for the feet too.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:

Drew Wiley

There are a number of good epoxies, but my basic go-to product for this kind of problem would be PC-11 marine epoxy. It's a 1:1 paste, which is actually sold in
    back to back 35mm plastic film canisters! But the color is white, if you don't mind that. "Super glues" all pretty much fail at this kind of thing. Be sure to give a
    little "tooth" to the PVC in particular with a bit of sandpaper action.

Maybe RTV Silicone (aka clear silicone) as used with putting together aquariums. I think the clear pure silicone adhesive sold in Lowes/Home Depot/Wallymart as a sealant for windows/bathroom stuff is the same. Run a test glob, and let it dry for a day or two.

White offends my aesthetic sensibilities........ No actually I could give a crap about how it looks. I will look up the PC-11. THANKS!
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:

Quote Originally Posted by DannL View Post
    Maybe RTV Silicone (aka clear silicone) as used with putting together aquariums. I think the clear pure silicone adhesive sold in Lowes/Home Depot/Wallymart as a sealant for windows/bathroom stuff is the same. Run a test glob, and let it dry for a day or two.
    Sorry I should have added this. I have not had good luck with the silicone on the feet-doesn't last more than a couple of months.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:

E6000 industrial adhesive.

I have had good luck with acrylic adhesives bonding dissimilar materials. It is more not quite as strong as epoxy, but resists peeling better. The downsides are it is not cheap and requires an applicator gun.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#high-streng...esives/=w1u0lg

Richard Wasserman

https://www.rwasserman.com/

There are very strong double sided construction quality tapes that will work. Maybe somebody can send you a couple inches of that type tape.

Perhaps double sided carpet tape would also work. Maybe not.

RTV is messy, a nasty odor when uncured and really bad for eyes. I hate the stuff. I used to handle 55 gallon drums of it.

Epoxy won't stick for long.

However roughing up the stainless surface with sand paper and then cleaning with acetone may improve bond.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#fastening-t...-sides/=w1udfi
    Last edited by Tin Can; 24-Feb-2015 at 11:11. Reason: add source
    Tin Can