Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Packard Shutter advice?

Re: Packard Shutter advice?

Nope!

multiplex

the only packard shutters i have used were with the original packard hose and bulb.
    the bulb has a hole at the end ( blood pressure bulbs do not ) and it took a hard squeeze
    to open /close the shutter. if the squeeze was not a hard one, the shutter just opened
    like it was in bulb mode ... interestingly the woolensak studio shutters have worked
    the same way with a degroff air piston shutter release. a hard squeeze the shutter opened and closed
    between 1/15 + 1/30S a slow squeeze it stayed open in bulb mode.

if your shutter isn't working correctly ( maybe there is something blocking the blades to make it stick )
    maybe ask the good folks at packardshutter's website if they clean and refurbish old shutters ...

good luck with your new shutter !
    john

I will certainly try some graphite. Good call. Squeezing harder on this one just blows the tube off the piston. Ha.

A thorough cleaning and some graphite are in order.

Quote Originally Posted by carynorton View Post
    I will certainly try some graphite. Good call. Squeezing harder on this one just blows the tube off the piston. Ha.

A thorough cleaning and some graphite are in order.
    No, no, no! Graphite is like a nano-invasive which will get into all the small parts of the lens, and it is almost impossible to remove.

So many pitfalls!

Is the piston and cylinder undamaged? Perfectly round? Take the thing apart, they are dead simple.

Be careful, remove ALL screws. Gently pry up the top, don't get excited and drop the piston when you remove the top.

Take pictures of every step because you are new at this.

Do not operate without it screwed together. The tube end is down and they are designed to only be used in that position. Gravity does half the work.

When bench testing I gently clamp it upright, tube end down and test a lot. I use my shutter speed app. I have 6 of them..

I only started working on these a year ago. Now I take them all apart right away to clean and check out.

No oil, no grease, no powders, just clean and dry.

You may find notes from previous owners inside.

I find that fun and if I make it better I sign it also on the inside.
    Tin Can

The Packard is balanced, so it only takes a gentle squeeze to open and it will stay that way until slight suction to close.

Jon
    my black and white photos of the Mendocino Coast: jonshiu.zenfolio.com

By tube end down I mean the rubber tube.
    Tin Can

It seems my piston is not one that can be disassembled and cleaned up (again, unless I am missing something). See attached.

The lining paper is original (April 26 1927) and seems like maybe it's water-warped a bit, so that could be some drag and a reason it isn't closing with gravity assistance.

See attached for the piston. Would it help to see anything else? I'm wondering if the front and back pieces are slightly concave and pinching a bit.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pack5.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	47.1 KB 
ID:	129835

Quote Originally Posted by carynorton View Post
    It seems my piston is not one that can be disassembled and cleaned up (again, unless I am missing something). See attached.

The lining paper is original (April 26 1927) and seems like maybe it's water-warped a bit, so that could be some drag and a reason it isn't closing with gravity assistance.

See attached for the piston. Would it help to see anything else? I'm wondering if the front and back pieces are slightly concave and pinching a bit.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pack5.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	47.1 KB 
ID:	129835
    The pin that is inserted into the piston is usually a loose but close fit and should allow the pin to stay attached to the aluminum bit inside allowing the entire top with piston to come off. Yours almost looks peened over to make it not remove, which is not normal. Inside paper could be removed and discarded or replaced. Many do not have or need paper lining. If the case halves are warped I would try to fix that.

1927 eh, my oldest says 1936 and a bunch of mid 40's notes.

More pictures! Can you get macro on that pin?
    Tin Can