Thread: Lens hood for 90mm SA not rubber.

Lens hood for 90mm SA not rubber.

I bought a rubber lens hood for my SA but even pushed back in all the way I have gotten several negatives with cut off corners. I'd much rather buy a metal hood that will work properly but I can't seem to find any. Well I did see one on Schneider's site but it claims to work with a max 70* field of view and the 90mm SA I believe is 105*
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1424277579440.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	43.1 KB 
ID:	129405

Re: Lens hood for 90mm SA not rubber.

What you need is a compendium, not a rigid hood. Especially if you will be doing movements.

Thanks. I will have to go sans anything for the time being. Luckily this lens has proven very resistant to flare so far ::knock on wood::

They're getting hard to find, but the old Voss filter holders with the barn doors will work if you only need shielding from two directions. It has a metal spring that holds it on the lens and can rotate to position the barn doors vertically, horizontally or in between. You can't have mine

Compendium bellows are great, but often unwieldy in the field. I often end up using my hat or a darkslide to shade the lens.

Best,

Doremus

Google barn door lens hood. There's a thread on it here as well
    A french flag which mounts in a cold shoe will be helpful as well, especially when attempting to compose a shot with the sun hitting the lens.

Quote Originally Posted by RodinalDuchamp View Post
    I bought a rubber lens hood for my SA but even pushed back in all the way I have gotten several negatives with cut off corners. I'd much rather buy a metal hood that will work properly but I can't seem to find any. Well I did see one on Schneider's site but it claims to work with a max 70* field of view and the 90mm SA I believe is 105*
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1424277579440.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	43.1 KB 
ID:	129405
    The lens hood you have seen on Schneiderīs site is the B+W metal wide angle lens hood model 970. I have one of this in 105mm size, and I use it on a Super Angulon 90 XL with a 95-105 adapter and it works, even when I use this lens in 5x7. I also use this lens hood on a push-on 100mm Lee Foundation Kit with a 105mm Lee Adapter ring. In this case you have to be careful with vignetting if use more than one filter or a polarizing filter. with standard Lee Foundation kit, wide angle adapter rings are mandatory. An articulated arm like the "Wigly worm" sold at www.robertwhite.co.uk with a 4x5 black card can also make a good job.
    Last edited by hiend61; 21-Feb-2015 at 05:45. Reason: completing info

Do you gents check for vignetting, using the cut-off ground glass corners? I thought I was doing it the right way, looking for the shape of the aperture, but I have just processed a batch of negatives and yes, I've got some vignetted. I was using a Hama rubber hood, similar to the one pictured in this thread, kind of bending it into shape to counter the effect of the movements. I guess I must have rushed, or moved the hood after checking...
    Rafal Lukawiecki
    See rafal.net | Read rafal.net/articles