Thread: Tripod Maintenance

Lascassas, TN

Tripod Maintenance

I recently received a Majestic 4800 model tripod with a 1400 model head. It should be a good match for my C1 8x10.

It was in storage for several years and need a major cleaning and lubrication. What is the best method to restore this unit? Is there a "Owners Manual" available?

Thanks.
    Bill Kumpf

Re: Tripod Maintenance

It's a tripod. Clean it & lubricate with lithium grease.

I prefer a silicone grease, such as Super Lube.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

How bad is it ? The gear head is pretty much maintenance free unless it's been submerged in water and it seems like the one you have is
    a later model. I had resurrected an older Majestic tripod with water damage and seized telescoping legs and the gear head was fine, I took it apart any way to do a full
    clean, lube and repaint. The seized legs were a chore to get apart, especially the roll pin that holds the legs to the center column casting, I think the 1400's have a
    machine screw and lock nuts, I lubed the legs after cleaning the tubes with scotchbrite pads with WD-40.

Lascassas, TN

The unit is pretty clean. It is fully functional. The only damage are three of the six leg stabilizers are broke. I think replacements can be fabricated fairly easily.
    The gear head motion is stiff with the lubrication caked. It should be taken apart, clean and lubed. The leg set just needs a light cleaning.

You are correct. The legs are attached with machine screws and nuts.

I did call Bencher. They recommended cleaning with alcohol and adding a light oil for lubrication. They had no specific recommendations for lubing the gear head.

The Calumet C1 looks good on it.
    Bill Kumpf

I'd see what bencher wants for replacement stabilizers versus making your own, they're basically aluminum strips.
    It might be cheaper than DIY unless you have the tools.

I you're going by what's around the crank handle and the worm gear hole in the front, that's not a good indication
    that the grease inside has solidified. Take the gear head off and look inside thru the gear heads column mount
    to see if the grease is solid I used a tongue depressor to poke at the grease on both my Majestics that I refurbed.
    If it's not you can probably leave it. The stiffness may be at the crank end and the tension adjust end
    ( slot in the front, slotted set screw is on the bottom ).

The tension adjust consists of a short brass pin and a spring that the set screw pushes against, the brass pins mine has
    a shallow "U" shape at one end, could have been from wear since these were older models, one was definitely
    used at a school or some training facility, the column is scarred from someone raising
    the column with it tightened.

I used white lithium grease for the worm gear.