Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best way to hang a backdrop for flower photos?

Best way to hang a backdrop for flower photos?

I scanned the above and didn’t notice this suggestion. I’ve done this in the past and it seems to work reasonably well.

I purchased two “extension” poles from HomeDepot (available in almost any hardware store) along with white rubber furniture “feet” of the appropriate diameter (these are the things you typically find on the bottoms of metal chairs to protect flooring – use white so you don’t risk making black marks on the ceiling). The poles are primarily used for paint rollers and the like, and can be purchased in a variety of lengths (I purchased 10’ extension poles). Place the “feet” on the ends of the poles, drape the fabric over the top and secure with gaffers (spl?) tape and extend the pole so it fits snug between the ceiling and the floor. Use care so you don’t “dent” the ceiling. Common sense goes a long way, if it looks like it may not work, it probably won’t.

I've used this to hold 12’x10’ muslin with no problems. Easy to transport, and it only takes a little practice to set up. Cost is about $30.

Best way to hang a backdrop for flower photos?

It's not like any of these solutions are "wrong" but when you think about how, say a Maplethorpe or Avedon or Penn would do it - to make serious work - they wouldn't scrimp around or settle for something that wasn't well-done. And the reason why (besides pride and craftsmanship) is that if you hit upon something that "works", it would be nice to be able to repeat it, on location, with consistency.

Re: Best way to hang a backdrop for flower photos?

For fast set up, you can use either the squeeze clamps with either a coat hanger wire or string for you to attach the backdrop. you can do this at home just for a temporary set up if you plan some photo shoots..hope this helps.

I use two Bogen light stands and a crossbar. I have five sheets of fabric in basic colors, each about 8 feet by 10 feet. I don't know what the material is, it's just a non-reflective fabric that I bought very inexpensively at a fabric store. I drape the fabric over the cross-bar, i.e. I don't have any clamps. Some dedicated photography backdrop material I've seen is stitched at the top so you can run the cross-bar through it but I haven't bought any of that. The main problem I have is keeping the material free of wrinkles.

This isn't something I do a lot of so I didn't want to spend much money. I don't remember what the stands and cross-bar cost, I bought them years ago. The material only cost about $35 for all five sheets.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Ditto on the comments about using PVC Pipe from a home improvement store. I found a package of plastic clamps for $10.00. Look in the paint department for expendable paint brush handles they can be used as cross pieces. You could use book shelves and clamps to hang the background too. Do It Yourself supports with heavy duty PVC work fine too. Finally if you have the time Craig's list usually has used gear on regular basis.
    Wally Brooks

Everything is Analog!
    Any Fool Can Shoot Digital!
    Any Coward can shoot a zoom! Use primes and get closer.

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

I bought this set-up from Calumet in December when it was on sale ($95 delivered):

http://www.calumetphoto.com/eng/prod...support/mf6095

Works great and stores/travels compact.

Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio View Post
    It's not like any of these solutions are "wrong" but when you think about how, say a Maplethorpe or Avedon or Penn would do it - to make serious work - they wouldn't scrimp around or settle for something that wasn't well-done. And the reason why (besides pride and craftsmanship) is that if you hit upon something that "works", it would be nice to be able to repeat it, on location, with consistency.
    Very good answer. And you will be more inclined to reuse and reuse the setup especially if still life is your chosen avenue of expression.

Apo-Heespharm-N MC

Gaffer Tape + wall

Best way for me means cheapest way...

I'm a professional assistant photographer. I use gaffer's tape regularly to hold material up, but it's expensive, slower to use, and more likely to cause damage than clamps. Sometimes I don't have a choice, as there's no room for stands and nothing to clamp to. If you're going to shoot in one spot, then it should be easy to make some wall brackets (or whatever) to hold a cross pole, and you can make the pole out of tons of stuff. I like wooden handrails, as they're cheap, more rigid than comparable pvc, have a flat side so they don't spin when set onto an inverted a-clamp.... For location work, get some good stands. C-stands are very nice, but they're over kill for small backgrounds. I recommend mid-sized "kit" stands, which are the stands commercial shooters throw in their location kits. I myself use Talon air-cushioned stands. They are a nice middle ground in stand quality and price. I also have some Giotto stands, which aren't quite as heavy duty, but they work well. Much like tripods, you want to avoid the really inexpensive stands.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

If the backdrop is far enough behind the subject, it will be out of focus, and no one will ever know if its hanging straight.