Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mods, please reconsider asking for general locations for the profile record

Lachlan 717

Re: Mods, please reconsider asking for general locations for the profile record

So, please let me paraphrase:

You want EVERYONE to have to put their location up so that those FEW looking at an unmonitored Sales area can save themselves the effort of contacting the Seller to find out where they are?

Good luck with that proposal.

As for the regional rationale, how is putting your location going to be anywhere near as useful compared to a thread title such as "LF catch-up for [insert region here]"? If you're contemplating somehow searching for local members and then sending them PMs, I'm going to call spam. Unsolicited contact.
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

Quote Originally Posted by lenser View Post
    djdister,

Again the sales is only a portion of the reason. The opportunity for regional professional and social contact is even more valuable.
    I agree, that's a good reason too. Apparently some people don't agree.

Lachlan,

It would be awfully nice if you read something carefully before putting words in mine or anyone's mouth. AT NO POINT did I come close to suggesting that ANYONE should be REQUIRED to supply location or any other information they hold to be private. In fact, I clearly stated just the opposite!

As to your implication that a thread title is enough to get in touch with a broad group of members in any area or for any purpose, I've tried it a few times with little result, i suspect because at least some folks likely didn't see the post who may have otherwise been interested.

You are suggesting that a shotgun approach like that will work and in real life, it doesn't. In fact, from what I have read and been told by professional marketing people I have asked, the projected response for direct mail and other such shotgun approaches, seems to be under ten percent. I certainly found that to be true in 17 years of direct mail marketing to seniors and for other portrait promotions.

The ability to contact by PM or any other means, a group of individuals with specific information about forming subgroups or making other regional non-commercial announcements is, I believe, an appropriate use for the PM system exactly like contacting any individual member via PM for a large format related announcement or question. And, by the way, how does sending an individual an unsolicited PM not fit under spam if I follow your rationale correctly?
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg

You did state...

... Any and all member comment, whether positive or negative is most welcome.
    Now if you wanted constructive, you might want to filter who can post to this thread.
    "Sex is like maths, add the bed, subtract the clothes, divide the whoo hoo and hope you don't multiply." - Leather jacket guy

I don't have a problem with someone not telling me where he is, but I think that someone who asks for the kind of help that would best be delivered locally and doesn't list where he is should be shunned forever. And this happens way too often. Too bad there isn't a way for software to automatically marginalize these people.
    Thanks, but I'd rather just watch:
    Large format: http://flickr.com/michaeldarnton
    Mostly 35mm: http://flickr.com/mdarnton
    You want digital, color, etc?: http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradofear

Ghostcount,

All negative as well as positive comments are welcome. That is the nature of debate, but another nature of debate is the concept of rebuttal, particularly when a challenge is made that by design or accident, misrepresents what has been proposed.

If you feel I am wrong, by all means share your point of view. If I agree with it, I will be honest enough to share that and endorse what you have shared. If not, and it is something I feel strongly enough about or if somehow something was misstated, I will also challenge that.

This thread is all about trying to increase and improve communication between us all and to that end, I made a few suggestions that i truly believe will work. You certainly have your right to challenge that if you disagree.
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg

I don't disagree. You wanted a more suggestive push in stating location; Mr. Barker has shown that, unless you can offer another method.

I disagree in leading us for comments (positive or negative) then retort a negative remark. Lachlan offered his opinion, and should stand on it's own. If your goal is to convince people from siding with your opinion perhaps you should ignore those comments that don't agree with your position and nurture the ones that do. Just my opinion.
    "Sex is like maths, add the bed, subtract the clothes, divide the whoo hoo and hope you don't multiply." - Leather jacket guy

Old and Feeble,

I'm about four miles south of Springfield. Barely enough time to finish a hamburger between the city limits signs.

Tim
    We fly into springfield to visit my folks in the Mtn Home, AR area. I grew up watching KY3 and KOLR10. They were the only channels we picked up.
    Newly made large format dry plates available! Look:
    https://www.pictoriographica.com

I think people should be required to verify their identity even if only in the background, and their state on their profile, too many people hide behind their names and complete anonymity and cause trouble, make new accounts when they get booted etc.

So I say yes I agree.