Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: False Economy, the worst film I ever tried to use.

Drew Wiley

Re: False Economy, the worst film I ever tried to use.

The complaints with this particular film have been on n' off for years. Maybe the fact that the sheet film footprint of it was limited while Fortepan/Bergger 200 was still around didn't turn up the microphone enough. I read plenty of complaints even from Europe about the 120 version, which might or might not be analogous. Perhaps the students and casual contact prints who work with the sheets aren't all that fussy to begin with, and can't tell their own scratches and air bubbles from actual film defects. It's a shame. The potential uses for this film in high-contrast situations are pretty remarkable if it could ever be trusted. I too hustled when Ilford film was temporarily in short supply, and might still have a box of 8x10 FP4+ in the freezer due to that panic. I thawed one out not long ago and it was still perfect. But this film and esp HP5 have very different printing personalities than TMY, which fortunately, I stocked up on pretty good in 8x10 when it was a lot cheaper than it is now. For 4x5 I prefer Acros in the mtns at least; but it has recently gotten even more expensive than TMY. In roll film it is
    a bargain.

I'm down to my last two boxes of 8x10 from the Great Yellow Father in Rochester (Tri-X & TMY-1) I shoot a lot of HP-5+
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings View Post
    I remember when Arista was rebranded FP4+ and CHEAP. I bought a ton of it and froze it-still shooting it today.
    I still have three boxes of the ASA 400 that was rebadged Ilford. Use to have six, but for some reason, after you open a box and use the film, it goes away. The WORST film I ever tried was Shanghai. Emulsion flaked off and it was about 1/2 rated speed. Contrast sucked.
    Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub

If it ain't broke....don't fix it!

Yes contact freestyle, if it's in-date they will most likely take it back as "manufacturer defect" and send you a different batch or refund your money, since you use other arista speed films I'm sure they will work with you.

Also, yes they used to use Ilford, not anymore, it's pretty obvious as Ilford is really the only manufacturer in England and the boxes are almost identical...

Same size boxes
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422682042.497543.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	113.5 KB 
ID:	128767
    Same markings on box

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422682069.063280.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	102.3 KB 
ID:	128768
    Same exact development times

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422682101.982561.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	113.1 KB 
ID:	128769
    Made in England...

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422682134.068695.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	113.0 KB 
ID:	128770

I thought I should update my complaint. I decided to pull a couple of sheets out of the middle of the box and got good useable film with both sheets. One of them is arguably flawless and the other has a retouchable straight scratch.
    Feeling much better that the entire box is not a total loss. I just have to find where the scratching part ends.
    Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    I thought I should update my complaint. I decided to pull a couple of sheets out of the middle of the box and got good useable film with both sheets. One of them is arguably flawless and the other has a retouchable straight scratch.
    Feeling much better that the entire box is not a total loss. I just have to find where the scratching part ends.
    Dennis
    Dennis, why aren't you sending them back? I don't get it?...

Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Dennis, why aren't you sending them back? I don't get it?...

Because I bought the box over 6 months ago. I tend to buy film when I have some spare money rather than when I run out.