Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Two problems with new Ansco 5x7

Two problems with new Ansco 5x7

I just acquired an ansco 5x7. I'm having two problems which I believe may be related. Here's the two problems:

The first problem I'm having is the bellows getting in the way of movements. I'm using a 180mm lens, so just slightly wider than normal. When I focus at infinity the front and rear standard are only 1" apart, so when I go to use front rise the very stiff bellows don't allow very much front rise at all. I'm thinking my only solution may be bag bellows. Distance from film plane to middle of lens board is about 4 3/4". For a 7" lens this cannot be right.

Second problem, I cannot seem to get a sharp image on the GG. It's so close to being sharp but just not quite. I even tried focussing my loupe at different distances and nothing worked. I had a Wista 4x5 in the past and the GG and fresnel was crisp and sharp. If the GG on my ansco is original could it just be not up to par with modern GG with a fresnel?

Btw.. I'm using a Rodenstock 180/5.6 Sironar-N and a Rodenstock 4x loupe.

Re: Two problems with new Ansco 5x7

Quote Originally Posted by brian steinberger View Post
    I just acquired an ansco 5x7. I'm having two problems which I believe may be related. Here's the two problems:

The first problem I'm having is the bellows getting in the way of movements. I'm using a 180mm lens, so just slightly wider than normal. When I focus at infinity the front and rear standard are only 1" apart, so when I go to use front rise the very stiff bellows don't allow very much front rise at all. I'm thinking my only solution may be bag bellows. Distance from film plane to middle of lens board is about 4 3/4". For a 7" lens this cannot be right.

Second problem, I cannot seem to get a sharp image on the GG. It's so close to being sharp but just not quite. I even tried focussing my loupe at different distances and nothing worked. I had a Wista 4x5 in the past and the GG and fresnel was crisp and sharp. If the GG on my ansco is original could it just be not up to par with modern GG with a fresnel?

Btw.. I'm using a Rodenstock 180/5.6 Sironar-N and a Rodenstock 4x loupe.
    I had the same camera. The bellows issue is something you have to live with. I just gently pushed them in my fingers when tilting. It won't harm anything just annoying. There is no cure for it unfortunately.

And your second problem might be that the ground glass is installed backwards? Trying flipping it around and see what happens. The smooth side should be facing you. if not you can use some shim steel from a hobby shop to shim the GG if the plan of focus on the film is too close.
    Signature deleted as to not offend certain people

Quote Originally Posted by Shootar401 View Post
    And your second problem might be that the ground glass is installed backwards? Trying flipping it around and see what happens. The smooth side should be facing you. if not you can use some shim steel from a hobby shop to shim the GG if the plan of focus on the film is too close.
    The GG is in the correct way. Im afraid something is wrong with the lens. The GG to plane of focus on film is off by almost 3". That's why I'm confused.

If your standards are about an inch apart and you are roughly focused on infinity with a 180mm lens, its a problem with your lens. Either the lens is missing one or more elements, or some elements are installed backwards.

Maybe you could post some photos of the lens...

Any part of the lens in particular?

Quote Originally Posted by djdister View Post
    If your standards are about an inch apart and you are roughly focused on infinity with a 180mm lens, its a problem with your lens. Either the lens is missing one or more elements, or some elements are installed backwards.

Maybe you could post some photos of the lens...

Any part of the lens in particular?
    Unscrew the front and rear lens groups, and let's try a shot looking at each side of each lens group (four shots).

The GG is in the correct way. Im afraid something is wrong with the lens. The GG to plane of focus on film is off by almost 3". That's why I'm confused.
    My bad. I read through it too quickly
    Signature deleted as to not offend certain people

Here are some shots of the lens:

First the entire lens:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0074.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	235.5 KB 
ID:	128584

The Front element:
    Front: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0075.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	210.8 KB 
ID:	128585
    Back: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0076.jpg 
Size:	196.2 KB 
ID:	128586

The Rear Element:
    Front: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0077.jpg 
Size:	238.9 KB 
ID:	128587

The Rear Element back:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0078.jpg 
Size:	183.8 KB 
ID:	128588

Can you determine the individual focal lengths of the front and rear groups by themselves by holding them away from a wall and seeing at what distance infinity comes into focus? I would assume the Sironar-N is a 180mm plasmat and would have element groups of roughly 420mm and 315mm if anything like a convertible Symmar 180mm. That might help you narrow the problem down and tell you if one of the groups is bad.