Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is there a 'standard' 8x10 to 4x5 reduction back

Is there a 'standard' 8x10 to 4x5 reduction back

Is there such a thing as a standard back or holder, to allow a 'standard' 8x10 to take 4x5 holders ?

I have an 8x10 Shen-Hao on order, and wonder how I might use it to shoot an occasional 4x5, if I ever need to.

http://www.toho-machine.co.jp/Reducing.htm

Those seem interesting.

Did you ask Shen Hao if they make a 4x5 back for the 8x10? Who did you order the camera from?

Octogenarian

Hi Ken,

I have a 4x5 reducing back for my new 8x10 Tachihara. However, it is not a standard size. It was custom built for the Tachi and probably won't fit the Shen Hao. Check with Shen Hao. They just might make a 4x5 reducing back for their 8x10 camera.

Ken,

In talking with several 8x10 camera manufacturers earlier this year, I was told that a reducing back displaces the entire ground glass mounting frame on the rear standard. Since there is no standard for ground glass mounting frame dimensions, a 4x5 reducing back has to be custom-fit to each particular camera (even if the reducing back and camera are built by the same manufacturer). Several camera manufacturers offered to fit a third-party reducing back (Horseman and Canham were cited as potential sources) to a camera on order, as long as it was shipped to them prior to camera assembly. I assume they then build a custom adapter frame or gasket to fit the back to the camera.

If Shen Hao does not have a reducing back of their own, ask them which third-party backs they can adapt. One would think one way or the other they'd come up with a solution for you.

I did what Eric described - I made an adapter frame that allows me to use the reducing back from the Toyo that I use in the studio on my Tachihara for field use. Getting the light trap to fit was a little tricky, and I used a combination miter and half-lap joint for the corners:
    <table>
    <tr><td></td>
    <td></td>
    </tr>
    </table>

One thing to note. The adapter does add to the extension, so shorter focal lengths that might work directly on the camera might not work with the 4x5 adapter. In my case, for example, the shortest lens I can use with my adapter on the Tachi is about 150mm.

Ken,

Agfa and Kodak (maybe more) made 8x10 holders with a 4x5 insert. These come up on eBay from time to time, and you might find them at the big photo dealers in NYC, Midwest, Quality Camera, etc. If you can find a couple, all you'd need is 4x5 frame lines on your 8x10 glass.

Steve

Nick - I ordered the camera from Shen-Hao in Shangai. They are a little slow answeng their emails from time to time, so I thought I'd ask the sages on the list - but I will ask them and post the answer.

I know what you mean. I've been waiting for an answer for a week or so now. Could you ask if they have both a 4x5 and a 5x7 back for the 8x10?

Ken,

I had a similar discussion with Dick Phillips several years ago when I ordered my Compact II. He said he;d e happy to d it if I shipped him a third party back and recommend a Deardorf as potentially he easies back to modify. However, he recommended against doing so for one good simple reason. The weight and size of the reducing back would be substantial ending up saving me very little. The back would weigh nearly as much (or perhaps more) than a compact 4x5 field and would take up as much space.

I listened and never had it done.

Okay what is the a real light 4x5? 2lbs or more? Plus to use the 4x5 camera you'd likely need new lensboards. Or at least some sort of adapter to allow using the lenses on both cameras.

I'm thinking about my Ansco 5x7 adding a 4x5 back wouldn't add much weight or space. An 8x10 would have a bigger/heavier back.