Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Photo Vests While Backpacking...

Photo Vests While Backpacking...

Ok, Frank. There are times I'd be jealous of your lightweight approach, but I'm flexible. When I arrive at the destination, depending on circumstances, I may just end up with the tripod and mounted camera with lens up on my shoulder, just like you. And I DO use my Jeep Wrangler to get me MOST places I want to go - however, without the machine gun mount (although I have spent countless daydreams on how to swivel mount a LF inside the jeep with high speed roll film of the 8 X 10 size). Never-the-less, my vest, at only 3.5 lbs., is about .014894% of my substantial aging body weight and really isn't a major factor. The tripod, camera and lens is the major factor - along with water bottle and food. BOTH our methods are easier than trying to load everything onto a cart whose wheels will sink in sand or has to be dragged across stepping stones in streams, etc. But a cart is great for moving around a small town with cement sidewalks and lots of old decrepid buildings - not to mention photographers! :-) I guess flexibility is the key. And I can't even touch my toes somedays. Hope you're enjoying the holidays.

Photo Vests While Backpacking...

Well, I didn't mention that I keep a ton of spares in the SUV... and I weight about 30 Arcas, so saving a pound or two is pointless...