Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tall tripod

Lightbulb Tall tripod

Hi all,
    I currently have a Manfrotto 190XPROB on which I use a Manfrotto 410 Junior Head (1.2Kg) and a 045F1 Chamonix view camera (1.6kg) with small lenses.
    The tripod gets up to 146cm with column fully extended and only 122cm without extending the column. It weighs 1.6kg.
    I would like to have a taller tripod to be able to use it without extending the center column without having to duck.
    Also I think it would be nice to have the ability to extend really high as for most of my pictures (urban landscape) it would be beneficial to have a higher viewpoint (to avoid obstacles: cars, etc. and also to provide an unusual viewpoint).
    I have found tripods going up to 190cm but I'm not so sure about those brands (Giottos and Triopo for instance).
    I have had a Giottos head before and I did not have a great experience with those. I have also read bad experiences with Giottos tripods and users seem not to be impressed with build quality of Triopo tripods.
    I came back to appreciate Manfrotto 055 series because of its quality but price is high if you want to get the carbon fiber ones and they generally don't get really that high(max 170).
    One should consider the old 055 aluminium series maybe.
    I found the 055XDB weighs 2.1Kg, 137,5cm tall without center column, 178cm tall with center column.
    Any thoughts?

Re: Tall tripod

Sergio,
    You are correct about the quality of both Giottos and Triopo; don't trust them with expensive gear.
    I had a Triopo which was ok for MF, but it would still wobble no matter what I put on it. And after a few months, it started to come apart.
    Extending it and closing it were not pleasant experiences, and the poor build quality was obvious everywhere.
    But it was light and cheap, I'll give it that.

If you're on a really tight budget, I'd suggest looking at Induro tripods; they may have one model that is extra tall, and they offer a decently-made tripod for the price.

If you have a few more shekels to spend, I can suggest a CP30-XL4S tripod from FLM: http://www.flmcanada.com/carbon-fibre-tripods-xl.html
    It reaches 217cm in height and weighs 1,9kg.

Buy well, buy once.
    Last edited by Ari; 21-Jan-2015 at 07:47.

Thanks Ari!
    Those FLM look amazing but they're in the Gitzo price range
    Induro I have seen once and they looked well made. The most interesting one looks like it's the CT313 which gets up to 185cm with 2.2Kg weight.
    Manfrotto 055XDB gets only 7cm lower with the extended column. (Of course the legs of the CT313 are longer than the 055XDB without column).
    The induro costs also 2-3 times the 055XDB.
    Has anyone had experiences with Vanguard? Sirui?

Does it need to be new?
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

basically - with new cheap tripods you get what you paid for, unfortunately. So is with heads. It is sad and sounds icky but true.

If you want decent price and good height - look at used Majestic and other old american aluminum tripods - my Davis with Tiffen head holds up 20x24 without as much as a blink or model sitting on it. And it did cost me about 50$ on flea-bay. My carbon-fiber Gitzo is lighter, and can extend just as tall, if not taller but without center column but i wouldn't trust it with bigger than 11x14 and it cost quite a bit more (even used, as i am cheap).

not necessarily new but I wouldn't mind

I'm afraid majestic tripods are generally too heavy to be carried (I'm not in a studio)

How about a used Gitzo 504 or similar?
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Quote Originally Posted by sergiofigliolia View Post
    I'm afraid majestic tripods are generally too heavy to be carried (I'm not in a studio)
    Meh... Thats what muscles are for. I hiked with 8x10 Korona and my T&D tripod quite a lot

Quote Originally Posted by SergeiR View Post
    Meh... Thats what muscles are for. I hiked with 8x10 Korona and my T&D tripod quite a lot
    Excellent! Are you for hire at mule rates?