Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: WTF I was just asking for help

Re: WTF I was just asking for help

Sorry that it was a bad experience. 8x10 user has a Bausch and Lomb 3a copy for sale for $2800.00 in for sale and wanted. Its a ridiculous price. I own a Dallmeyer 3a and I paid $1200 2 years ago. I also paid $500 for the same B and L 3 years ago. Dallmeyers trump B and L's They are fantastic lenses. I shoot Dallmeyers constantly. One 3a sold for $1400 the other day. a reasonable or good price. In other words A dallmeyer is worth much more than a B and L. someone selling a B and L for $2800.00 which is ridiculously overpriced should not be offering you 1500 for a much more valuable 3a that and a possibly another lens that could be worth maybe a a considerable amount of money.

Sorry I deleted my post because I somehow made the exact same post. Here's Dan's list of recent soft focus sales. hope this helps.
    http://www.antiquecameras.net/softfocuslenssales.html

Most of us also remember cases of fraud on this board, brought on by a new member "asking questions" about desirable, expensive lenses.

One in particular was a Cooke Semi-achromat, which the newbie posted in a very similar manner: "I found this lens in my grandma's attic, and know nothing about it." These are strange statements, full of warning flags. The seller says he knows nothing about a rare lens, but has access to the internet, and access to eBay, where All Dreams of Riches Come From? The seller cannot use those easy resources, but searches for an esoteric Large Format forum (somehow knowing that's the purpose of the lenses) to join? Cannot read the boldly engraved writing on the lenses, and google that exact text string? Etc. In this case, buyers contacted the person with the Cooke query right away privately. Several people had competing PM bids, while the open thread lingered with people guessing prices. Finally someone made a deal, $2,000 I believe, and sent a check to the new member. All by PM, under the forum table. The money was never seen again. The lens never appeared, and the "seller" disappeared, never heard from again. The address was an empty house.

So yes, this forum is cautious with new members asking about rare lenses. The OP's angry response is unusual, I'm not sure if it gives me a more secure feeling - or less.

Information inequality is what keeps the profit machine running. I haven't looked at the thread in question, but I'll bet that those who screamed the loudest are ones who are in the business here of buying and selling. Price exposure is bad for their business.

You may want to look into the ignore button. It allows you to avoid the posts of people who are habitually tiresome or angry. In spite of this being one of the friendliest forums I have participated in, I also have the highest number of people here on "ignore" compared with any other forum.
    Thanks, but I'd rather just watch:
    Large format: http://flickr.com/michaeldarnton
    Mostly 35mm: http://flickr.com/mdarnton
    You want digital, color, etc?: http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradofear

Lurker

I am respectfully calling BS. I find it very hard to believe that you did not find the info in the two threads. Knowing the bbs, there were three pages of opinions but also links to allow you to do your research. I side with the moderators as they have limited time to attend to the forum.

David

I am glad you posted again. I felt sorry for you. You fell into some issues that simmer away and occasionally bubble over in this forum. We would like to believe that people who post here have an interest in Large Format Photography and get aggravated by people who may just want to use the expertise of others to make a buck.

I suggest you post these one at a time and ask some Questions about what is it, learn about the types of lenses, f stops, focal length and over time read and google about them. Then you will get a sense of value and go from there. Infirmed and educated, you will feel much better about what you do with them.

multiplex

Quote Originally Posted by cowanw View Post
    I am glad you posted again. I felt sorry for you. You fell into some issues that simmer away and occasionally bubble over in this forum. We would like to believe that people who post here have an interest in Large Format Photography and get aggravated by people who may just want to use the expertise of others to make a buck.

I suggest you post these one at a time and ask some Questions about what is it, learn about the types of lenses, f stops, focal length and over time read and google about them. Then you will get a sense of value and go from there. Infirmed and educated, you will feel much better about what you do with them.
    +1

as others have suggested,
    don't get frustrated because of a
    strange snowball fight ...

good luck finding out about you lens/es !

john

Quote Originally Posted by goamules View Post
    Most of us also remember cases of fraud on this board, brought on by a new member "asking questions" about desirable, expensive lenses.

One in particular was a Cooke Semi-achromat, which the newbie posted in a very similar manner: "I found this lens in my grandma's attic, and know nothing about it." These are strange statements, full of warning flags. The seller says he knows nothing about a rare lens, but has access to the internet, and access to eBay, where All Dreams of Riches Come From? The seller cannot use those easy resources, but searches for an esoteric Large Format forum (somehow knowing that's the purpose of the lenses) to join? Cannot read the boldly engraved writing on the lenses, and google that exact text string? Etc. In this case, buyers contacted the person with the Cooke query right away privately. Several people had competing PM bids, while the open thread lingered with people guessing prices. Finally someone made a deal, $2,000 I believe, and sent a check to the new member. All by PM, under the forum table. The money was never seen again. The lens never appeared, and the "seller" disappeared, never heard from again. The address was an empty house.

So yes, this forum is cautious with new members asking about rare lenses. The OP's angry response is unusual, I'm not sure if it gives me a more secure feeling - or less.
    So what you are saying is that you or others tried to side step the rules (rules that are put there to protect you from scammers) and buy from a new poster under the table and not wait the 30 days and you got screwed. So now you are going to treat any new member who post nice lenses like a scammer?

Post Re: WTF I was just asking for help

Thank you for the help and the links to some great info I am going to start a new thread to ask some specific questions about specific lenses.

Quote Originally Posted by thejester83 View Post
    So what you are saying is that you or others tried to side step the rules (rules that are put there to protect you from scammers) and buy from a new poster under the table and not wait the 30 days and you got screwed. So now you are going to treat any new member who post nice lenses like a scammer?
    The 30 day rule doesn't protect anyone. A buyers careful research of the seller , and vetting him does.

Greed and haste cause people problems, I don't try to buy during obvious mass conflagrations. But I do warn members of the potential of getting defrauded, because our good, longterm members have been burned before. If you are an honest, calm person you'll find a lot of helpful people here. If you barge in, then start cursing and criticizing everyone, well, you'll reap what you sow. Your option.