Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Photographing From Behind a Wall

Re: Photographing From Behind a Wall

Any chance i could see a photo of your 2-leg tripod? It sounds as if it's a variation on my original idea, but maybe a bit refined. After going around in circles a bit, this I think is the way forward. thanks much! i have an old Bogen 3021 prepped for surgery...

Quote Originally Posted by Flauvius View Post
    Hello Lenser:

I use my "two leg" tripod to make images from walls in parking lots and other locations where the third leg of a conventional tripod presents a problem.

My sand bags and other heavy junk are in the trunk of my care.

Flauvius

Richard Wasserman

https://www.rwasserman.com/

I've shot over/on top of walls before, using all sorts/sizes of cameras.
    This is usually how I prefer to set things up, as long as the wall isn't too tall.
    Using the tripod leg's ability to go low, but only using 1 leg's extension, it's very stable.
    *I'd be wary about putting sandbags on any ledge that's ~100ft+ above people's heads

Thanks Daniel, but the height and depth of the walls that I will be behind don't allow me to set up my tripod the way you showed. After thinking more about this, and going around in circles yesterday, I think my original idea (and Flauvius's) will work the best. I took a look at what's involved to remove one leg from my Bogen tripod and it looks fairly simple—you just have to disassemble the whole thing... I hear you about being safe 100 feet up—you should have seen the safety precautions when I shot from 900 feet.

Richard Wasserman

https://www.rwasserman.com/

If the wall is about 12 inches wide at the top and relatively flat I would use a couple of bean bags and dispense with the tripod altogether; especially if in the tele range of 300 mm and up for 4X5. I make my own bean bags using old socks and pebbles. Done properly, the stability is complete. Adjusting is a bit futzy but once the framing and setup is complete a bit of moving and squeezing of the bean (pebble) bags can achieve a solid mount.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

Hello Daniel:

On Wednesday of this week, I am meeting with someone who has a "d...al" camera and who can made an image of my modified tripod for you.

In principle, your image pretty much is what I have. Indeed, you have the same Gitzo head.

However, my "two leg" tripod lays completely flat on the wall and the unused third leg simply "hangs parallel to the outside wall. Unlike your Gitzo tripod, my Silk "two leg" tripod does not have any leg stops to prevent the legs from spreading. Also, the center column on mine Silk tripod was removed to both bring the camera to about four inches from the whatever it is sitting on, and to enhance lateral stability and to prevent the camera from "tipping over".

If you would rather not have sand bags, or similarly heavy things sitting on the wall, simply put a "C" clamp on each leg and an "U" bolt above the clamp. Them, simply attach something "heavy" on a string/rope to the "U" bolt. Nothing will move either over the wall, or laterally when you insert your film holder.

All things considered, I would not waste the money on a new Gitzo when any "user" small tripod will do the job.

One last thought, be sure to position the handles on your tripod away from you. If you are heavy like I am, it is nice not to have the handles poking you in the gut every time you are focusing. So, giving credit where it is due: Steve Simmons told me about this great idea.

Please PM me if you still want me to have an image made of my "two leg" tripod.

Flauvius

Flauvius,
    Please share a photograph of your bi/tripod setup, not simply for my benefit, but for the forum as a whole

I (have) been somewhat "heavy" most of my life(I'm nearing 27yo). But this will be the last year I am so, as I'm making permanent life changes in regards to diet, exercise regimen and life as a whole. Slow, but steady progress has been made. Diet being the hardest thing(I have a sweet tooth )
    Since most of my photography is from eye-level, even with LF, I haven't had to contend with the tripod handles hitting my midsection; instead they hit my clavicle or poke me in the neck if I'm not careful

-Dan

I would cut a piece of 2x10 to the width of the wall. Then screw 2x10 pieces on the ends so you have a U that fits over the wall. Make the legs long enough to give you piece of mind that it is not going to fall off, and put your tripod head on the top.

What about a horizontal side-arm (Gitzo?). Put the camera end on the wall sitting firmly on a sand bag. This might allow the camera, or maybe just the lens, to be extended—slightly—beyond the wall. No modification to the tripod except to remove the ballhead.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Ummm... Yeah

How about one of those folding shop ladders, the kind that folds 4 ways and is about 4' when folded. Mount a plate at the top that can be used to mount your tripod head. Usually a 3/8 20 bolt is the right one. With your tripod head on top and the ladder folded as an a-frame, you should be up about 6-8 feet, giving you plenty of clearance to shoot over the wall. With a long cable release, you can wait until the ladder has stopped vibrating from climbing off, then release your shutter. I think Clyde Butcher uses something like this.