Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: New Darkroom equipment disappearing Buy Now

Re: New Darkroom equipment disappearing Buy Now

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    I picture the same happening after I go: my mate throwing it all into a dumpster. It is a persistent nightmare.
    Anybody given a thought to documentation? My neighbor told me, when her husband (an electronics hobbyist) died, she had to pay for a big dumpster to get rid of all the hazardous waste... If your (and my) heirs don't know what it is, they will throw it away.

Back to topic: I keep looking at ebay listings, even though I don't need anything. If I find something cheap (and interesting), I buy it. New equipment at store prices? Sorry, no.

But one thing that gives hope is the resurrection of the manual focus lenses (for 35mm). In the 90s, we were whining about the disappearance of well-made, metal-body, fixed-focal-length lenses. Now we can buy them again, from Zeiss, Voigtländer, Meyer/Görlitz, and Samyang. In better quality than ever before. Who would have thought?

I don't see bargain deals in CL anywhere near Chicago anymore. I have stopped looking mostly. I used to check just before sleep as many people, I surmise, drink a nightcap and decide to sell the 'junk'. If I see a late night CL listing, I call or email right then and have gotten deals.

Same thing happens here.

And I have told my relatives to be very careful handling and selling my junk. They know me...
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by HMG View Post
    Why 0.1%? Or even 0.01% of a smaller number?

It's an old shortcut (or trick) to take a very small percentage of a very large number. There's a term for this, but I can't remember the term.
    "Bullsh!t"

At first glance, it seems so reasonable as the percentage is so small. But if there's no basis for that small percentage, then the result is meaningless.
    Right. The trend in China, like everywhere else, is that as affluence rises and modern consumer goods become more affordable, they dump the old tech and go with the new. Are there any cultural forces at work to reverse or slow that trend? Not that I'm aware of.

Fine Art
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Moopheus View Post
    [...] Right. The trend in China, like everywhere else, is that as affluence rises and modern consumer goods become more affordable, they dump the old tech and go with the new. Are there any cultural forces at work to reverse or slow that trend? Not that I'm aware of.
    I see no trend to counter the dump-old-buy-new in an affluent segment, either. If China follows Asian consume trends, then demand for prestige items will rise. My question is whether old-school tech like LF can hitch a ride.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    ... Of China's population of 135,000,000,000, ...
    __

No... The population of China is only approx.

1.367 Billion -- 1,367,730,000 People.

Not...

135.000 Billion -- 135,000,000,000 People.
    (Now that would be a LOT of people).
    --

-Tim.

_________

Quote Originally Posted by HMG View Post
    Why 0.1%? Or even 0.01% of a smaller number?

It's an old shortcut (or trick) to take a very small percentage of a very large number. There's a term for this, but I can't remember the term.
    Slippery decimal place. My gross error, as Tim showed just above. Is there an emoticon for someone running away red-faced?

My estimate considered only those in China who could afford a new LF camera, then a percent of those who aren't in the Sisyphean digital camera catch-up. Niches are not to be ignored - it could happen for LF, provided there are labs to support it in the high-density centers. (Using my % against employed Minneapolis citizens yielded 4 new LF cameras a year. That just cannot be right. I would be so lonely! )

Craft and home small business, art or not has made a resurgence in USA. Lot's of people making, stuff, kinda like Italy did and does with people producing things at home.

Japan has maintained both high tech and ancient arts despite their economic problems.

China has potential to embrace craft. Maybe they already do. I don't know.

However our member here who teaches LF in Korea had to start from scratch. All LF was gone there. He is becoming their national treasure.
    Tin Can

God, this thread went south..

Quote Originally Posted by evan clarke View Post
    God, this thread went south..
    Yoo in Texas now, boy. Gitcha hands up!!