Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: New Darkroom equipment disappearing Buy Now

Drew Wiley

Re: New Darkroom equipment disappearing Buy Now

Everything is SUPPOSED to break these days, or at least become unfashionable within six months. That's what drives the whole consumer electronics industry.
    How come a fifty buck fifty year-old pawnshop camera will work another fifty years, and a two thousand dollar DLSR is rated for three years before its inevitably going to be replaced? Same reason inkjet printers are the going thing. It's not all about convenience and being cool to behave like a geek. Look what they get for
    the paper and ink. It's obscene. But let's look at an analogue. All kinds of people are making their own beer and wine brands these days. In this town, there are even stores to help you get set up. Wet photography is pretty much going the same way. Somebody will always keep the market alive, somewhere. I won't go
    down the path of what Colorado is doing as an analogue, because in a few years none of those practitioners will be able to remember much of anything anyway!

Quote Originally Posted by jp View Post
    Much of this supply of used gear comes from photographers dying.
    When our little city photo studio closed after three generations of business the whole thing was auctioned piece-by-piece at first, then when the auction boss realized that almost nobody knew the merchandise it went to lots of stuff put indiscriminately into big boxes. Saddening except for three of us who knew. At the end of the day unsold stuff was thrown into a rent-a-dumpster to be scavenged for free.

I picture the same happening after I go: my mate throwing it all into a dumpster. It is a persistent nightmare.

Our kids will have one hell of a garage sale!

Quote Originally Posted by HMG View Post
    So keep a spare enlarger head around.
    An enlarger head, are you kidding? I've got an complete extra LPL 4550 XLG, and may even buy a third one. If I could find a Durst L-138 or L-184 close by, I'd buy that too and keep it in a box or the attic in case mine dies. If my Durst Dichroic head dies, I've got a backup condenser/coldlight head and more bulbs than I can use in a lifetime (or what's left of it)! As long as the place doesn't burn down I should be ok.

Quote Originally Posted by Old-N-Feeble View Post
    However, if millions of people, either Chinese or nationalities, are added to the buying pool I still say innovative new products will emerge. .
    Millions? That seems highly unlikely. There's no reason for large numbers of people to suddenly decide they want film gear. Sure, some, but not a lot. At least, here I live, we see tourists and other visitors from all over the world, and they're all carrying the same digi stuff. Some stuff will be made them as long as it's relatively cheap to do so, but Shen Hao and Chamonix aren't producing large numbers of cameras.

Yeah... I was exaggerating a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    It seems people think there is an endless supply of any darkroom equipment, both new and used.

As the 500 watt enlarger bulb thread shows, maybe not.

I try to be proactive and make sure I find what I want for my darkroom now and as long as I live. Who knows? Mom is still kicking at 94. I may go today...or not.

Regardless, I think it is wise to buy what you can now. I bought new paper safes last year from Adorama, they still have them, I just checked and at cheaper than used prices. When I bought mine, they had free shipping on 20X24 paper safe. Not now.
    So many have become spoiled by giveaways, that they expect this to continue. I doubt it. I see CL enlarger prices moving up.

Sandy king's book was a sellout in China. When China wants something, perhaps LF gear, they will get it. What if they love LF film?

I just bought 5X7 film made in Shanghai, from Taiwan. I have not shot it yet.

Somebody's seeing a market.

When the left over Darkroom gear, new LF cameras, new lenses are gone most likely we will never make them again. Yes custom is always available. Takes a winter to get a new custom camera.

Gas is so cheap in USA driving anywhere for something is now feasible.

My point is, if you want it, buy it now.
    I, too, have been using Shanghai B&W film. I buy the 4x5" size from an eBay vendor. It generally takes about 2 to 3 weeks to arrive in Atlanta. I have had no problems with the film.

You are right about some photography hardware not being made these days. That is why I have been stockpiling 4x5" sheet film holders as I find them on Craigslist and eBay. I try to not pay more than US $5 to $8 for them. So far I have over 100. There is a note in the box saying if I kick the bucket to put them up for grabs here in the For Sale section.

What I also worry about are the 150 watt Halogena modeling lights I need for my three Alien Bee and four White Lightning strobes. In the past, I could walk into Home Depot or Lowe's big box hardware stores to buy them off the shelf. Now they are as rare as hen's teeth. So when I see them, I buy several to hoard.

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaTerry View Post
    I, too, have been using Shanghai B&W film. I buy the 4x5" size from an eBay vendor. It generally takes about 2 to 3 weeks to arrive in Atlanta. I have had no problems with the film.

You are right about some photography hardware not being made these days. That is why I have been stockpiling 4x5" sheet film holders as I find them on Craigslist and eBay. I try to not pay more than US $5 to $8 for them. So far I have over 100. There is a note in the box saying if I kick the bucket to put them up for grabs here in the For Sale section.

What I also worry about are the 150 watt Halogena modeling lights I need for my three Alien Bee and four White Lightning strobes. In the past, I could walk into Home Depot or Lowe's big box hardware stores to buy them off the shelf. Now they are as rare as hen's teeth. So when I see them, I buy several to hoard.
    I thought PCB still services all his lights and has spare bulbs. I just checked his website and he sells them. I have 4 Einstein's with spare bulbs. I learned on loaned White Lightnings 17 years ago. I like his gear.
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaTerry View Post

your post spurred me to a film holder purchase today
    --- Steve from Missouri ---

Re: China, 1% of 1.4 billion people is still 14 million. If, for the sake of argument, just .1% bought a LF camera that would be 1.4 million cameras. Big numbers can have a big effect.