Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Restoring a Crown Graphic

Restoring a Crown Graphic

This weekend I found two Graflex Crown Graphics on Craigslist for $60. One camera came with 127mm Ektar, and the other came with a 105mm Tominon. Both lenses are dirty and have problems with the shutters, but I think I will be able to get the Ektar in working condition.

Neither camera was in working condition. One camera had a cracked body the other had broken guides for the sliding rail. I've never had a chance to restore a camera before, and I thought this would be a fun project. Here are a few pictures as I started to tear it down. Sorry for the poor quality I took them with my cell as I was working.

Re: Restoring a Crown Graphic

I decided to strip off the leather to strip and finish the wood. I also plan to repaint the metal in a flat black.

I'm starting with the bed. I've sanded down the the outside with 220 grit sandpaper and then went over everything with 400. I painted the interior of the bed last night. My progress will slow down now that classes have started back in addition to my full time job, but I'd like to get it done in a month or so.

Will the rack and pinion need to be lubricated? If so, what should I use?

silicone grease is a good place to start. reassembling the focus track is a bit tricky. Keep us posted on progress.

I also plan to repaint the metal in a flat black.
    You might want to re-think this!

I have seen a number of Crown/Speed Graphics given this treatment (listed sometimes as rare "tropical" versions!) and they look a bit "tacky/untidy" with all the many metal fitments.
    It is possible to get black, embossed, leather/leatherette.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails leather.jpg  

Lots of fun.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8311708657_3c9375d29a_z.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	151.9 KB 
ID:	128059

Heh. A custom camera leatherette maker once mentioned the influx of "naked" graphics were due to the people disassembling it and removing the old leather and instantly becoming overwhelmed at the amount of work it would take to re-upholster it. Hah.

Definitely not for the faint of heart. Can't say I would ever do it again.

Normally I wouldn't have stripped a Crown Graphic. The only reason this one was stripped was the leather wasn't in the best of shape and was starting to come up off the bed. My goal with the project is to take two parts cameras and end up with a reliable light weight field camera. For the most part I'm trying to use what I have around the house. It took a little bit of work but I have the body cleaned up and sanded down with 400 grit sandpaper.

Well I finally had time to finish the Crown Graphic. It definitely was more work than I had expected. Overall I'm very happy with how it came out. With the 127mm lens it weighs exactly 4lbs. Here's a few quick pictures I'll try to add some better ones later.

Name:	IMG_20150417_185905919.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	75.9 KB 
ID:	132549

Name:	IMG_20150417_185857813.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	77.7 KB 
ID:	132550

Good for you! Very cool.