Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Black and White book printing, what is the best quality option?

Re: Black and White book printing, what is the best quality option?

As important as the aspect ratio, I believe, are the border weights. I currently prefer bottom weighted layouts.
    Platinum Palladium Printer
    The Cunningham Press

Black and White book printing, what is the best quality option?

Paul, when you say bottom weighted, do you mean the standard trick of leaving a little more space at the bottom than at the top so the print does not look like it is sliding off the bottom of the page?
    Interestingly enough, Steidl does not do this with his margins, they're a scant 1/4" on top and bottom of the portraits and 1-1/16" on top and bottom of the landscapes according to my ruler. My current trim size is 8-1/4" by 7-3/16". My picture frames are 4-7/16" wide and 6-3/4" high for portrait, and 7-3/4" wide and 5-3/16" high for landscape.
    I'm still not sold on this trim size but it does make for a nice sized book that is easy to hold.
    Randy, don't worry, I'm not trying to sell you a book. :-) I am learning a lot in the class and think I have found the way I want to express my work, through books, which have a longer life than art on a wall in shows.
    The idea of being overly influenced by others is something I want to address, though. I don't believe it is a bad thing to study the work of other photographers. To live in the world is to be influenced by one's cultural heritage, upbringing, social position, and place of residence, to name just a few factors.
    Great artists are often influenced by artists who came before them. Look at painters and musicians to see how they've incorporated the ideas of their predecessors in their own work while still producing something which is uniquely their own.
    I don't think remaining ignorant of what has come before is any guarantee of producing good work. For me, my life would be a lot poorer if I didn't see the work done by Bresson, Frank, and DeCarava, to name just a few of the photographers I admire.
    It is impossible to copy any photograph, since no two cameras can ever inhabit the same point in space and time. :-)
    I photograph from life, not in the studio, so there is no chance I can exactly reproduce any photograph I've seen in a book. I don't do advertising, so there is no temptation for me to steal someone's style for money.
    Funny you should mention music. I study classical guitar with a Juilliard trained classical guitarist. The idea of exactly copying my teacher, or any accomplished musician, is laughable, it's just impossible. Still, I can learn a tremendous amount studying with a great teacher, and from listening to great musicians, to not do so would be to put myself at a tremendous disadvantage.
    Music is the interaction between a player and his or her instrument in a room. These factors are different with each player, instrument, and setting. I feel the same way about photography.
    The camera is an instrument we all play, and one which yields different results, depending on the skill of the player, and the setting in which the artist finds himself. Knowing the work of great photographers helps to inspire us to work with greater skill in crafting our own images.

I have been following this thread and look forward to the final version.

I would love to do this myself in a few years. Just for myself to appreciate and enjoy, I have already sunk enough money into prints, frames, packaging, etc and yet to sell a print. It's ok though I wanted to sell 3 last year and now my goal is to sell one this year. Or print better photos. Or print for myself alone.

Best of luck!!!

Black and White book printing, what is the best quality option?

Go for it. I've had friends who have had shows and have sold nothing. I'm sure it is discouraging to have a living room full of framed prints that did not sell.
    It has to be a little easier to sell a $40 book than a $500 print. The small press we're working with charges the same price for quantities of twenty five and over. So, you can order twenty five books, work to sell them, and then use the money to buy another lot of twenty five.

I don't mean to say we should not study art, but at some time we must forge our own path. Right or wrong.

Perhaps, "...the one less travelled."
    Tin Can

Thanks for the encouragement. It is a bit discouraging...but at the end of the day I am not doing it to feed myself. Just break even and spread art/photography around. Patience is a virtue. And if I let my prints, framed or not, dictate even a sliver of happiness or accomplishment from my hobby/passion...then meh.

I just enjoy shooting and printing. The process of making a book or zine or framing stuff, etc is all in the fun of it.

Like I said, share with us once your project is wrapped up.

Abuser of God's Sunlight

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    I don't mean to say we should not study art, but at some time we must forge our own path. Right or wrong.

Perhaps, "...the one less travelled."
    In my experience, studying the history of something is the best way to find your own path. Without historical perspective, most artists have no idea of the range of things that have been explored, talked about, done-to-death. The naive path usually dooms you to reinventing a wheel, unless you're a visionary prodigy or crazy lucky.

Ok, on to another topic, where is the cheapest place to buy ISBNs?

isbnservices.com charges $18.99 per ISBN for the first ten ISBNs.

Are there better deals out there? I would buy ten if I could get a cheaper price.

Back to the prior topic, check out this very high quality book.
    http://myemail.constantcontact.com/S...id=hRsmsTHLZGE
    Platinum Palladium Printer
    The Cunningham Press

Quote Originally Posted by paulr View Post
    In my experience, studying the history of something is the best way to find your own path. Without historical perspective, most artists have no idea of the range of things that have been explored, talked about, done-to-death. The naive path usually dooms you to reinventing a wheel, unless you're a visionary prodigy or crazy lucky.
    Or you discover 'art' late in life and cannot possibly catch up, I try but I don't memorize words well...

Ay my age, I just crawl as fast as I can.

Many here are highly verbal/writers, which is why I started the image response only thread, some are really getting to it.
    Tin Can