Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: eBay film holders came with film in them - what to do?

eBay film holders came with film in them - what to do?

I bought a lot of 30 Fidelity Elite 4x5 holders off of eBay recently. When they arrived, I found that they already had film in them! So, at least one is probably wrecked, but the other 59 sheets of film are probably OK.

I have contacted the seller through eBay but haven't heard anything back and I don't really expect to.

Thoughts?

I need to figure out what kind of film it is based on the notches, and also how many have film (all seem to from a few I checked in the bathroom), and how many different types of film are in there.

Is there any way to tell if the film's been exposed, or what age it is? (I doubt it but maybe there is, who knows)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2093 - Copy.JPG 
Views:	70 
Size:	174.2 KB 
ID:	127874

Re: eBay film holders came with film in them - what to do?

S'pose you could expose a couple of sheets. If you can't tell the film type by the notches, expose one @ 160 ASA and the other side @ 400 ASA and then develop like Tri-X in D76 (or your favorite developer). If the film is any good, you should get some sort of image and give yourself an idea of what might work when you shoot the rest. If you get 'double images' in the processed sheets, maybe try to develop a few more.

My guess is they are unexposed film.

Just checked some more of them. The notches all perfectly match Ilford FP4 Plus (ISO 125), looking at the tables of film notches that are available on the web. Also, the white side of the dark slide is out on them all. I am betting unexposed film too.

Given the same sides are showing on all, then developing one sheet each from two different holders should do to raise the chances that the rest will have the same outcome. I would go with that, else go with jbenedict's test. Same thing, really. Regardless, you will be able to see if the film is fogged from age or any other reason.

I'm guessing they came from an estate sale?

Ack. "Cancel the world search!"

I had the bright idea to check the ebay post again and... "Also they are all loaded with a good sheet of fp4 film."

Well there you go. Teachers always said I needed to work on reading comprehension....

Don't know where you live, or where the film loaded holders came from, but there is a good chance that the film could be buggered from being x-rayed. Expose one sheet (making sure there are some even toned areas in the scene) and process. If x-rays got to it, you will see it as bands of increased density.

why risk it. are your photos not worth the effort you put in to them to risk with unknown film? Maybe the PO did not know how to load?
    Buy new film, support the industry, keep the ball rolling - this is how you do it.

Quote Originally Posted by koh303 View Post
    why risk it. are your photos not worth the effort you put in to them to risk with unknown film?
    You may want to wait until you've seen my photos, but no, they're not. Total 4x5 sheets exposed by yours truly to date: 14. I need the practice.

Maybe the PO did not know how to load?
    I'm willing to take that chance to get 60 'free' shots. The ones I've checked in the darkroom seem to be loaded fine.

Buy new film, support the industry, keep the ball rolling - this is how you do it.
    Ah yes, support the corporations that continue to mismanage their film businesses (often to the point of bankruptcy), failed to anticipate or navigate the transition of amateur photography to digital media, consequently damaging their core consumer business segments to the point that they can no longer support professional and large format film production, and continue to shut down plants, cease production of excellent products, and otherwise disappoint photographers? I think you're right - the wasteful action of throwing $70 of film in the toilet would certainly be in the spirit of the industry.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

I've always just pulled the film out and throw it away. I'm not at all curious about situations like that.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    I've always just pulled the film out and throw it away. I'm not at all curious about situations like that.
    I bought a big cardboard box of 8x10 film holders. Most were empty but some had film. The owner had passed and his daughter was selling them. I tossed the film. I wasn't going to waste my time and money on an unknown.