Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Movin on up

Re: Movin on up

Quote Originally Posted by ignatiusjk View Post
    .... is there a difference between Photo shop "lightroom" and CS5? How far up should I go???
    Lightroom is a great tool, particularly for rapidly batch processing and cataloging digital images. I use it with my DSLR to import images, keyword them and rapidly develop RAW images using a preset that approximates Velvia's contrast and saturation. It automatically corrections lens distortion as well. From within LR, you can edit images by transferring to Photoshop when you need to do something "heavy duty.". This is typically, in my case, to when I need to do something out of the ordinary with layers. Keep in mind, sharpening and noise reduction, lens correction can be done in LR as well as PS. If you still are scanning film, LR will have limited use to you, but if you also shoot digital you will save countless hours processing digital in LR.

As mentioned above, for a mere $10 a month you can have both: PS (with Bridge) and LR. This is what I currently subscribe to. The wife has the full-blown Creative Suite as she also needs InDesign and Illustrator. Her monthly subscription is about $54,
    Bill McMannis

I have used PS for many years, and I was hesitant to use Lightroom, but then I learned how to really use LR and it's amazing. I prefer it to working in PS by far. There a few things I need to go back to PS for, but not often.

Folks, I do my scanning on a MAC G5 and would like to load PS-cc subscription on that machine for convenience. Will that work?

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

Quote Originally Posted by Adamphotoman View Post
    You can still buy CS6 although Adobe does not make it easy.
    We have CS6 & hate it. Use CS5.5, although I use all from CS1 to CS 4 on the older operating systems.

The main problem with subscription based software is that at some point an update will force an OS upgrade. If that is not feasible on an older machine then it forces one to buy a new machine.
    I use both PS5 & 6. PS6 has a better content aware, but PS5 allows me to run some plugins in 32 bit mode. So I need both.
    Capture One Pro 8 is another example. It won't run on 10.6.8, and it is not really compatible with Capture One Pro 7.

The main problem with subscription based software is that at some point an update will force an OS upgrade. If that is not feasible on an older machine then it forces one to buy a new machine.
    I use both PS5 & 6. PS6 has a better content aware, but PS5 allows me to run some plugins in 32 bit mode. So I need both.
    Capture One Pro 8 is another example. It won't run on 10.6.8, and it is not really compatible with Capture One Pro 7.
    Yes, and I just upgraded to a new machine to handle big scans. Upgrading computers, OS and PS is simply a fact of life at least every 5 years!

I do remember what it was like 20, 15, 10 even 5 years ago. Not so hot, is how I see it.
    Tin Can

Randy,
    It's not so much that I will need to upgrade machines, it is that I will have to when they say I have to.

At least with the older model I can wait until I am ready!!!!!!!

I always plan well ahead.

However life does happen by accident.
    Tin Can

Yeah I plan too. That is why I own my software.

Yeah I plan too. That is why I own my software.

Do you really own it? I doubt it. You bought a license only.
    Tin Can