Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 4x5 inch vs 9x12 cm film question

4x5 inch vs 9x12 cm film question

Hi everyone, this is my first post here, so if my question has been discussed before I apologise, but I could not find anything useful with the search bar. I am about to get my first large format camera and I am slightly confused with the specs. I found this near by and it's in mint condition:
    Linhof 4x5 Super Technika V. Serial # 2161781, but on the large back / it comes with 2 backs/ , it states 9/12 cm, slightly different then the 4/5 inch. My question is: It will be close to impossible to find 9/12 cm film arround, so will I be able to use this back with the standard 4/5 inch sheet films, by simply buying new film holders, or there will be issues with compatibility and framing? To my eyes, the 9/12 looks identical on the outside, it's probably different inside where the film guides are?

Please, help me to clear this confusion. I just want to make pictures, not fiddling with incompatible media The Polaroid back is also 9/12 cm, but I guess that's the normal standard size for it?

Thanks in advance,
    Rado

Re: 4x5 inch vs 9x12 cm film question

This link should help you out.
    This board doesn't have the best search feature, so you may need Google at times.

Modern 4x5 inch and 9x12cm film holders are the same external dimensions. Internally they are different. The 9x12 film will fall out of the 4x5 holders and the 4x5 film won't fit into the 9x12cm holders. You can use them interchangeably. The Linhof back says both "4x5" and "9x12cm"

You should be able to get most of the modern films in 9x12cm via Europe as it's the standard there. There was a time when I preferred the slightly more elongated proportions of 9x12cm so I picked up a bunch of Fidelity 9x12cm holders. I've used them in all my 4x5 cameras as well.

thank you so much, that means if I buy 4/5 holders I will not have issues with using it on this specific camera/back combo? If so, that's a relief, cause I really like this camera

The outer dimensions of "international" holders are the same, so you can simply get yourself some 4x5 holders. 9x12cm film can still be had in Germany, but it might be more difficult to find in the US, hardly worth while if you only own two holders. Polaroid did never exist in 9x12, it only ever was made in quarter plate (approx. 8x10cm) and 4x5 - with Polaroid gone and Fuji currently only selling quarter plate film, you'd actually be lucky if it were a QP/8x10cm holder.

Since the Linhof was designed around 9x12cm film you will notice a slight about of mechanical vignetting when you shoot 4x5 film. Depending on the focal length of the lens you will notice more or less rounding of the corners on your negatives.

ouch

I was about to shoot with 75mm that probably means pretty heavy vignetting, right?

The Super Technika V is the second Linhof generation built for international backs - absolutely no vignetting there. Of course, the Technikas allow for more movements than most lenses you'll use on them, and you obviously have more room for movements with a smaller format, but that is not a 4x5 specific issue.

Lachlan 717

You'll need to check that the ground glass is marked for 4x5 and not just 9x12. This won't stop you using the former; but you'll need to get your head around compemsating for the difference in aspect.
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky