Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Show your SPEED GRAPHICs!

Re: Show your SPEED GRAPHICs!

Quote Originally Posted by FrankS View Post
    Try to find a roll film holder for your 3x4.
    They're harder to find than for 2x3cm or 4x5in but Graflex/Singer made them for 3x4in Graflok... if you have a Graflok back. Just be patient and keep looking.

I love my fedora, but on photo trips I usually wear the Stetson. It's better for shading the eyes.
    Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub

If it ain't broke....don't fix it!

Quote Originally Posted by goamules View Post
    Nice one. I'd definitely keep that just for all the history.
    Oh absolutely. I only paid a few bills for it. The rangefinder is calibrated and it works great. I've had several people offer to buy it from me!
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Old-N-Feeble View Post
    They're harder to find than for 2x3cm or 4x5in but Graflex/Singer made them for 3x4in Graflok... if you have a Graflok back. Just be patient and keep looking.
    Or use it with paper negatives, easily cut down to size from larger sheets in one's darkroom.

~Joe
    The photograph and the thing being photographed are not the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Old-N-Feeble View Post
    Interesting. A new film format. Who'd have expected one to pop up in a discussion of cameras that haven't been made for quite a while?

2.25" x 3.25", OnF, 6x9 in metric.

If the bag mags fit the back on the Speed, then you have a Graflex back, not a Graflok or spring back. The sheet film holders peeking out of the cool suitcase appear to be for a Graflex back, with a slot in the face instead of a raised ridge like normal sheet film holders. They probably have slots down the long edges, but I can't see from the picture. According to "Graphic Graflex Photography" (11th edition) by Willard D. Morgan, bag mags were made for 3 1/4" X 4 1/4" Graflex backs in both 12 exposure and 18 exposure capacities. I'm assuming your thicker one is an 18 shot. Two different roll film holders were made for 3 1/4" X 4 1/4" Graflex backs - 12 exposure (2 1/4" square format) and 8 exposure (2 1/4" X 3 1/4" format). But that isn't to say it will be easy to find a 3X4 Graflex roll back.

Years ago at a camera swap I saw a nice clean Crown Graphic with a Graflok back offered at a very attractive price. I handled it and was really tempted to buy it, but something about it didn't seem quite right. It wasn't until I saw some slightly larger Crowns on other tables that I realized I almost bought a 3X4 thinking it was a 4X5.

I'm trying to herd my Speeds together so they can pose for a group photo. I once read in a book on collector tractors that you should never store all your tractors together in one place, so the wife can't tell how many you actually own. I use the same philosophy for cameras, but then it is sometime difficult for me to find them myself!

Len

OK Len!

I will pile mine up also.

Class picture.
    Tin Can

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8311708657_3c9375d29a_z.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	151.9 KB 
ID:	127593Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8312756048_aac23d1161_z.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	136.7 KB 
ID:	127594

This was my Speed Graphic, which I had for over 30 years. I sold it for more modern gear, but still miss it sometimes. That bellows was still absolutely bullet proof, and the rangefinder and focal plane shutter still worked. Oh well...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20130828_6043a.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	73.5 KB 
ID:	127596 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20130828_6041a.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	230.8 KB 
ID:	127597

OK, here's my 3.25x4.25 Anniversary Speed, photographed with my 4x5 Pre-Anniversary Speed and a ~ 5" Gundlach projection lens, ex-Galli. This is the correct order of things: quarter-plate is the Ideal Small Large Format, but 4x5 still has some residual utility for documenting this fact.

PS 1: This picture qualifies to be included under the new rules because it was made on 4x5.

PS 2: The camera's sourpuss companion in the picture is making faces at the 4x5.