Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Deardroff 8x10 - What to look for and value?

Re: Deardroff 8x10 - What to look for and value?

Quote Originally Posted by Netsoft2k View Post
    Michael, I did look at Ebay for closed sales and I was looking for something that was in decent condition, had front swing movement, and came with 2 backs in fair condition. Most of what I saw was auctions that ended around 1900 with no holders, no lenses, and approx 100 in shipping. If you can see something else, do you mind pointing me to them? I could have just done my search incorrectly.
    I was suggesting to search this forum. The search function doesn't appear to let us specify the For Sale section only, but you can just search Deardorff then look at the ones that were for sale.
    Here was a great deal from about a year back $1K for a camera only
    Another one

I'm sure there have been more, that was a quick look.

Well, I like my Deardorff. I find it very intuitive to use. I think what is important is that you really like your camera, that way you'll get out and use it more often, but end up with a camera you don't like and you'll make every excuse not to take it out because, quite frankly, any 8x10 takes a lot more effort than a 4x5.
    I like Deardorffs
    As far as price goes since I can't see the camera I'll wager that its in the ball park.
    My 'dorff is about 60 years old, maybe a little newer as it has plated hardware. Ken Hough's Deardorff site which Luis-F-S linked to has a lot of info you should study.
    For a $2,000 Deardorff I'd want:
    1) excellent bellows
    2) movements that lock down good and tight
    3) nice wood with few marks and no holes
    4) the handle should be in good condition with the fittings firmly riveted and
    5) original matching focus and locking knobs.
    I think a 60 year old 'dorff would have the metal base plate and front swings as original(see Ken Hough's site for when they were made standard equipment.) If not, it's probably older---not really an issue if it is in immaculate condition but I'd consider adding a base plate as it offers good protection against cracking the seams and also scarring from the tripod mount. Originals aren't cheap so I'd want that deducted off the price. A 60 year old 'dorff may or may not have the splitters which are removable sliding panels allowing 4x10 or 8x5 formats on a sheet of 8x10 film. If the back was designed for splitters (a groove with a flat spring thing to hold the sliders in place) I'd expect them for that price, but if there is no groove, that's just the nature of the beast, eh?

If you don't want the 8x10 to 4x5 back you can easily sell it for $150+. With the rumor of type 55 P/N coming back on the market the possibility of instant feedback on exposure before committing an 8x10 sheet (particularly if you're $hooting color film$) is perhaps an asset.
    The lens boards, if original, are valuable. Whether or not they'll fit any of the lenses you'll be using is as yet unkown. I've seen original 6"x6" boards in great condition go anywhere from $25 to $45. Most of my lens boards were nasty looking eBay junkers won for a couple of bucks apiece (hint---a little paint remover and a few coats of lacquer with fine steel wool applied between coats will make them gleam like new.) The board with a square hole is probably an adapter to allow using the lens and boards from a 4x5(maybe the same lens boards as your 4x5) camera.
    FWIW, useable 8x10 film holders go for about $50 a pop these days. If they aren't leakers they would be welcome accessories. If they do leak, put them in a cannibal box for parts (those dark slides and the flaps on the ends can breathe life into other Zombie film holders you may run into.)
    But your question was, is $2,000 in the ball park? For an excellent example with all those extras, I think so.
    Happy 'dorff hunting!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

OK I just saw the photos. It's probably from the 50s or 60s---It looks like mine! I agree with Carl French's observations. Check the bellows carefully. Pin holes should lower the price considerably---get a quote on the cost of replacement bellows and take it with to grease the negotiations if necessary.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Something that no one has mentioned yet on this thread and it's something I just want to point out to the OP.

If you ever need to find spare parts or want to have it repaired, be aware that the person who purchased the brand has had a lot of very terrible feedback and it sounds like they are ripping a lot of people off, taking years to return a camera if ever and never returning peoples money if the purchase isn't sent to them.

This has nothing to do with your camera in particular, however if you're looking to have it repaired if the Bellows or bad etc., Just be aware that you're going to have a hard time finding newer parts and that you will have to be careful not to purchase accidentally from the guy who now owns the Deardorff brand. They also sell on eBay though with all the issues I'm surprised they haven't been banned.

Anyway it's just something to consider and be aware of and is a stain on the brand which is unfortunate considering it's grand reputation.

I personally went with a Chamonix 8x10 because it was super light, modern, and still in production, BUT just like me I'm sure you have already made your decision and don't want people chiming in with their own opinions and are just looking to understand the value so I'll stop there.

Just wanted you to know about the buyer beware issue that might arise.

Good luck!

Camera in question looks like early to mid '50's at the earliest, based on Front swing, name pate style, knobs, etc. It looks a lot like like one I had from 1956, and the bellows from one I got from 1950. I buy replacement bellows only from Custom Bellows in England, and they run around $300 US not counting shipping. The key point is to watch for the miter joint in the bed opening, it affects operation of focus, particularly of the rear focus, which gets' tighter as the joints open more.
    I think $1500-$2000 is good for a good user. I sold a really pretty, clean slightly-restored/upgraded camera with new bellows for $1800 not long ago. I though it should have gone for more, but the market is what it is.
    Realistically, 4x5 reducing backs bring $100 more or less, if you expect more, you'll have to have a really, really pretty one, and wait for the right buyer. (I've sold probably 5 or 6 4x5 backs on Ebay in the last calendar year, so I know)

PS, Those do NOT look like bellows replaced 10 years ago to ME, they look.........maybe a lot older. YMMV.
    Tracy Storer
    Mammoth Camera Company tm
    www.mammothcamera.com

Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Something that no one has mentioned yet on this thread and it's something I just want to point out to the OP.

If you ever need to find spare parts or want to have it repaired, be aware that the person who purchased the brand has had a lot of very terrible feedback and it sounds like they are ripping a lot of people off, taking years to return a camera if ever and never returning peoples money if the purchase isn't sent to them.

This has nothing to do with your camera in particular, however if you're looking to have it repaired if the Bellows or bad etc., Just be aware that you're going to have a hard time finding newer parts and that you will have to be careful not to purchase accidentally from the guy who now owns the Deardorff brand. They also sell on eBay though with all the issues I'm surprised they haven't been banned.

Anyway it's just something to consider and be aware of and is a stain on the brand which is unfortunate considering it's grand reputation.

I personally went with a Chamonix 8x10 because it was super light, modern, and still in production, BUT just like me I'm sure you have already made your decision and don't want people chiming in with their own opinions and are just looking to understand the value so I'll stop there.

Just wanted you to know about the buyer beware issue that might arise.

Good luck!
    Since stone has no actual experience in the matter, i would disregard the above comment.

The source of Deardorff parts, which is, Mr. Cochran, is in fact sometimes a bit slow to answer emails, or ship out goods for any number of reasons (probably the same ones the led to the demise of the original deardorff in the first place) however, he does ship, and the parts and service are for the most part A OK.
    I cant really think of "reagular" service parts for deardorffs that you would actually buy from them, unless you are restoring a camera.
    Most deardorffs have all original hardware, and if it isent broken there is nothing to replace, and i doubt a new user of such a vintage camera would break anything, at least i have not yet seen that happen.

As a matter of fact, having spoken to this person on the phone on more then one occasion, he is helpful, and full of free advice, which is worth well more the a nickel, weather you actually bought something from them or not. Try getting that kind of advice anywhere else without buying anything and see how far you get.

That is also not to mention that there are at least 4 different sources for parts for deardorffs if you do not like one of them, move along to the next one.

Thats that about this.

Quote Originally Posted by koh303 View Post
    Since stone has no actual experience in the matter, i would disregard the above comment.

The source of Deardorff parts, which is, Mr. Cochran, is in fact sometimes a bit slow to answer emails, or ship out goods for any number of reasons (probably the same ones the led to the demise of the original deardorff in the first place) however, he does ship, and the parts and service are for the most part A OK.
    I cant really think of "reagular" service parts for deardorffs that you would actually buy from them, unless you are restoring a camera.
    Most deardorffs have all original hardware, and if it isent broken there is nothing to replace, and i doubt a new user of such a vintage camera would break anything, at least i have not yet seen that happen.

As a matter of fact, having spoken to this person on the phone on more then one occasion, he is helpful, and full of free advice, which is worth well more the a nickel, weather you actually bought something from them or not. Try getting that kind of advice anywhere else without buying anything and see how far you get.

That is also not to mention that there are at least 4 different sources for parts for deardorffs if you do not like one of them, move along to the next one.

Thats that about this.
    OP, just look up the threads on him, and decide for yourself, you're basically an idiot if you think this guy isn't screwing people over, there's multiple law suits against him now. Promising 3-6 month return and 3 years later still no camera isn't "slow" it's theft.

No I haven't had an interaction personally because I'm not foolish enough to do so,, anyone who deals with that guy at this point is frankly an idiot and the fact you've countered my statement doesn't make any sense considering you're also a shop that sells specialized gear.

I may not like you as a person and we may not get along, but you also deliver what you promised and your shop is quality and your equipment is sent out immediately. You're a good seller, don't tarnish yourself and your businesses good reputation by defending a thief like Cochran.

Good luck OP

Deardroff 8x10 - What to look for and value?

Ken Hough has parts as well.

Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    OP, just look up the threads on him, and decide for yourself, you're basically an idiot if you think this guy isn't screwing people over, there's multiple law suits against him now. Promising 3-6 month return and 3 years later still no camera isn't "slow" it's theft.

No I haven't had an interaction personally because I'm not foolish enough to do so,, anyone who deals with that guy at this point is frankly an idiot and the fact you've countered my statement doesn't make any sense considering you're also a shop that sells specialized gear.

I may not like you as a person and we may not get along, but you also deliver what you promised and your shop is quality and your equipment is sent out immediately. You're a good seller, don't tarnish yourself and your businesses good reputation by defending a thief like Cochran.

Good luck OP
    This is second hand advice, take it as you will, and back on topic - there is no shortage of deardorff parts with or without having to buy from the above mentioned.