Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Starting out, where to buy gear?

Re: Starting out, where to buy gear?

I'll add that eBay is probably one of the few sources around for used dark room gear. Maybe Craigs list. There is such a glut of enlargers that most camera stores just aren't interested in taking them in--you can pick them up for very little $$ or even free (a good pal fished an immaculate Omega D2 out the dumpster behind the Art Dept. at a college!)
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Here's an alternate point of view:

If you're in this because "real photographers know how to use film", there are a variety of ways to go.

Get a 35mm camera. 35mm cameras are almost free. The lenses might not be really cheap but something like a 35-70 zoom is under $100. You can get film in 100' rolls. Many enlargers can be used for 35mm and MF. All of the other stuff will be the same price. If you are looking to just get your toes wet to see what this film stuff is all about, this might be best.

You might be surprised at the price of a 500 C/M Hasselblad these days. Check it out. If that is what you want, I think you can get it at a Toyota price these days.

If you really want MF, the cheapest and arguably the best value is Mamiya 645. Bodies and finders are almost free. Lenses are relatively cheap. Lenses are really good. Lots of guys are using them with their DMF backs and are pretty happy. I bought a 645 and adapter because I had a 30mm Arsat I wanted to put someplace and the 645 was cheapest. I got a 645J, prism finder and the Pentacon-Mamiya adapter for under $100. I ended up getting a 55-110 zoom so I could use the body for other things and it wasn't much and works well. If you can get over the fact it doesn't say 'Hasselblad" on it and that it is used and cheap, you might really like it. (I'm a longtime Hasselblad user)

You are going to need some way to make output, either on a computer screen or on paper, so you might need a scanner or an enlarging setup. A $75 scanner will do a good job with 35mm and I'm not sure how much more a scanner which will do MF costs (I have an Epson V750 Pro and it was something like $850). An enlarging set up could cost anywhere from $100 to $1000 depending. You might also get a whole darkroom in a box from someone for free or almost free. You will need a room to do it in, too.

You can send both 35mm and MF out to be scanned. Sending files out for printing would give the best quality unless you already have a good printer for use with your DSLR. I'm not sure where you could send out negatives/positives of any size to make traditional prints. You would probably have to make those yourself. Silver paper is reallllly expensive.

I'd dodge 4x5 at this time. Unless you have someone who could walk you through the sheet film process as you do it, it might be a little frustrating. A "$100 4x5 camera" can quickly get up over $500 with all the little things you really do need to make it work.

I think jbenedict has a good set of suggestions. There are plenty of excellent 6x4.5 cm cameras out there from Pentax, Bronica and Mamiya, at dirt cheap prices. A bit more than used 35mm cameras, but you do get a larger negative.

As for where to buy - if you know what you are looking for and have done your homework, you should be checking out Craigslist, eBay, B&H, and KEH.

A few things to remember about buying older cameras. First, you may need to replace the focusing screen with something brighter. My father's Rolleiflex Automat, a great camera, wasn't very usable without adding a brightened viewing screen. Second, the cameras often need an overhauls. Lubricants gets gummy over the years with the camera just sitting around. Sometimes the people who do overhauls have cameras they've already worked on ready to sell.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Well my motivation is both "real photographers know how to use film" but creatively I find it more satisfying that the process is hands on and not so much "hocus-pocus box" in camera, then in computer and then in the printer, you haven't touched the image or seen it in a physical form, and being creative with an image is not moving a slider in Lightroom. However at the moment I don't have room to install a darkroom, so it will need to be scanned, I also think it will primarily be scanning to digital. So I'll pretty much just need a changing bag, a developing tank, and some chemicals, and a scanner. I have thought about epson 850 or the now 5 year old v600. But is it worth it?

I do want to go large format, but there are as jbenedict says always more gadgets you need. It seems that if you buy a "full complete everything you need large format camera kit", you are not even halfway there, and when you have it all, and then how do you actually take a picture?
    But when I'm confident with developing film etc, then I plan on going large format.
    I don't gain much from buying a 35 mm camera as for image quality, but i have thought about it to save money and get more klick's on a roll of film.

Well a hasselblad the prices I've seen start at above 1.000 USD and they are often 2-3 times that much. I think it's a lot of money, but I don't know how much the cost from new - does any of you know? How much should it cost? Just curious

As for KEH I don't like that you don't get a full description or images before you buy something. Some on ebay have a very detailed description and they also give them a CLA. So maybe it's worth it.

KEH is irritating, but great!

I would skip the 35mm or medium format, particularly if you want to do macro, as there is nothing better than LF for that. Also, sheet film is easier to process than roll film. Plus a top of the line camera (for your purpose) is a fifth the cost of a hasselblad (and most people will not know the difference).

Get any Sinar monorail, or almost any other monorail in good condition. One lens, 6 holders, a dark bag, a tripod, a loupe (or strong reading glasses), a black tee-shirt, and a daylight tank for the taco method, plus some chemicals, and you are ready to shoot and process. Easy!

I would express my opinion regarding analog format sizes vs. digital offerings but I don't want to start a S-storm. Suffice it to say I'll be sticking with 6x9cm and larger. My maximum will be a lightweight 8x10 but only because I can no longer handle anything larger.

You could always get a 4x5 and put a roll film back on her.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    You could always get a 4x5 and put a roll film back on her.
    Are you addressing me or the OP?

Michael - I have seen hasselblad 500s linger on my local craigslist for weeks, people asking between about 800 to over 3000 USD. If you are careful you could probably find one for under 1000.