Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Which Glue To Use?

Re: Which Glue To Use?

Epoxy would certainly work but my concern is how tight the tolerances are on this---reassembly is a very tight fit and I think bending the aluminum channel "open" then clamping it closed could introduce other variables that might effect the flatness of the dark slide (which is why I hoped Duco cement would have been suitable for the task) I'll go to the hardware store today and see what epoxies would be thin enough to apply and then tap the channel into place.
    Thanks all!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

JB Kiwk-Weld is the best of the 5 minute expoxies IMHO

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    Epoxy would certainly work but my concern is how tight the tolerances are on this---reassembly is a very tight fit
    If it is a tight fit apply the epoxy to the slider, not to the slit, so that the excess wipes off upon insertion and does not block up the slit. If you expect difficulties, get a medium to slow curing one, so that you have time for several attempts (which you would not have with 5min epoxy or CA superglue).

Epoxy would certainly work but my concern is how tight the tolerances are on this---reassembly is a very tight fit and I think bending the aluminum channel "open" then clamping it closed could introduce other variables that might effect the flatness of the dark slide (which is why I hoped Duco cement would have been suitable for the task) I'll go to the hardware store today and see what epoxies would be thin enough to apply and then tap the channel into place.
    Thanks all!
    Glue epoxies are all going to be about the same viscosity, there are lower viscosity ones but they're used for electronics potting and object casting and have
    long pot lifes, up to 7 hours.
    Sevo's method would work but depending on how tight the fit it may wipe too much glue off, I would apply the mixed epoxy to the aluminum part with a
    thin blade, like a artists paint spatula, and push the dark slide in, heat lightly with a hair dryer to lower the viscosity and push the slide in again to seat,
    wipe off the excess and let set. Note heating the epoxy will shorten the work time as I said before.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim C. View Post
    Glue epoxies are all going to be about the same viscosity, there are lower viscosity ones but they're used for electronics potting and object casting and have
    long pot lifes, up to 7 hours.
    Sevo's method would work but depending on how tight the fit it may wipe too much glue off, I would apply the mixed epoxy to the aluminum part with a
    thin blade, like a artists paint spatula, and push the dark slide in, heat lightly with a hair dryer to lower the viscosity and push the slide in again to seat,
    wipe off the excess and let set. Note heating the epoxy will shorten the work time as I said before.
    Hmmmm.....I wonder how the application of heat would affect the plastic?
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

John, I have some Kodak half-plate film holders with plastic slides and aluminium end grips and the end grips are riveted in place, not glued. I take it from earlier posts that yours isn't riveted, but if you are unsure about gluing, riveting could be a good option...

Alan

It'll be fine unless it's heated to above 120C or so, but by then, it'll be quite hard to hold the piece...just heat it to 50C/120F, which is ample to make the epoxy a little more runny.

Nothing you'd need to worry about, the epoxy would be the first to suffer. The grips on my Kodak holders are phenolic resin (Bakelite or some competing product). Which would be thermosetting and not inflammable - the stuff toaster handles and knobs were made of, with permissible working temperatures past 200°C.

You want to warm the aluminum tab, not roast it, 100º F would do it, the aluminum will conduct the heat and lower the epoxy viscoisity
    once you see some of the squeeze out start to run, push the slide in some more and position if needed, and of course it's done off the holder.

Well, I never made it to the hardware store---I came down with the crud that's been going around so no field trips for me! Since I already had Duco cement, and since Duco cement is something Adams and Weston would have had available I figured I'd give it a shot.
    It worked and so far has held up