Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: In what do you carry 4x5 lenses when in the field?

Re: In what do you carry 4x5 lenses when in the field?

I use a vinyl padded zippered cd case with the cd sleeves removed. It fits a 150 or 210mm lens on a Sinar board perfectly. Not sure if these are still made, though. It's from about 10 years back.

Dave Karp

Before I upgraded my pack and lens holders to Photobackpacker, I used Lock n Lock containers to hold most of my lenses. They were good for most of my lenses, including 125/150mm Fuji W, 210mm f/6.1 Caltar Pro, 300mm Nikkor M, and 450mm Fuji C. The larger lenses, like a 90mm f/8, went into a plastic index card box that was padded with foam. Now, the 90mm goes in a padded Fishpond reel case. I put some sticky back hook Velcro on the bottom so it will work well in my Photobackpacker P3. All of my lenses are mounted on Technika-type boards.

The "official" lens wraps by Domke, etc. are nice but cost a bit more than I wanted to spend so I made my own.

I went to a Dollar Tree store and bought gold color micro-fiber cloth pieces in the kitchen/cleaning section. Then I went to Home Depot and bought self-adhesive Velcro strips. I cut the Velco into matching square pairs. I stuck the Velcro onto the corners of the micro-fiber cloth. DIY lens wraps!

On my next trip to the Dollar Tree store I noticed large fluffy white micro-fiber cloth pieces being sold in the automotive section. To reduce the chance of loose fibers getting on my camera gear, I washed and dried the cloths.

Now I double wrap my lenses. First in the gold DIY lens wraps, then a second time in the fluffy white cloths.

Most of my 4x5 work is on the sets of film and television productions where I create character studies of actors in wardrobe and makeup so I have to carry a lot of equipment.

I broke my 4x5" equipment down into two kits. Most of my lenses are on 4x4" Crown Graphic lens boards. My Cambo has an adapter lens board that accepts Crown boards which means the lenses can fit onto either camera. Only my extreme wide angle and long lenses are on full-sized Cambo lens boards. By having the majority of my lenses on the small Crown boards it makes packing and transport much easier.

Kit #1:
    case is a beat up old Graflite case purpose-built for 4x5 Speed/Crown Graphic cameras and accessories
    4x5 Crown Graphic
    135mm f/4.7 Graflex Optar installed on the Crown
    150mm f/5.6 Fujinon (in a large plastic yogurt tub)
    240mm f/6.8 Tele-Congo (also in a yogurt tub)
    The two yogurt tubs fit into one corner of the Graflite case.
    Also in the case is a dark cloth, level, small CREE LED flashlight, six sheet film holders, model releases, notebook, cable releases, etc.

Kit #2:
    case is a beat up Cambo case I finally found used (cases for Sinar, etc. are too narrow)
    4x5 Cambo with standard bellows
    Cambo lens board adapter to accept Crown lens boards (mounted on the camera with a blank Crown board)
    Cambo bag bellows
    Nikkor-SW 90mm f/4.5 on a Cambo recessed lens board
    Schneider Symmar-S 210mm f/5.6
    Rodenstock Sironar-N 300mm f/5.6 on a standard Cambo lens board
    accessories: Cambo compendium, level, small CREE LED flashlight, rubber squeeze ball shutter release, cable releases, etc.

Yes, there is some duplication but if I just want one kit or the other, each is fairly self-contained.

The two 4x5 kits fit in the back seat or trunk of my car. Also in the trunk is my Manfrotto fluid head video tripod that I found works quite well with my Cambo. I have a smaller Manfrotto tripod for the Crown kit.

I carry most of my sheet film holders in soft-sided insulated thermal coolers.

I also carry in the trunk of my car light stands, reflectors, strobes, etc. in case they are needed.

I carry all mine in Tamrac packs..

I use some neoprene lens pouches from Cartom. They are called Neo-Pro Wide Mouth lens carriers. Have been using them for years. Only downside might be that they probably won't work with large lensboards. My lenses are on Teknika style boards. http://www.cartom.virtual-space.com/photop.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    Well, this is 8x10, but I still hope most folks have a better 'system' than me! The lenses, darkcloth, meter, and misc pouch is kept in the area above the camera. The 300mm has a hard foam homemade case, one or two lenses in lens wraps and one in a bubble-wrap pouch. The secret is in the loading/reloading the pack on the ground so that everything stacks nice and safe when the pack goes on the back!

When I was traveling with a 4x5, I used one lens -- kept in a lens wrap (and a spare GG in a 4x5 film box). It would have been sweet if the camera design would have allowed me to fold the camera with the lens still on the camera. One less thing to fuss with!

Anti-static ziplock bags for film holders and lenses are nice. There are also anti-static ziplock bubble bags -- just a little more padding.
    Is that an f.64 pack, aughn?
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

BAB

The pinnacle of Yankee engineering, Bruce .

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Barlow View Post
    I took my lenses on a shopping date to fit them for plastic freezer containers. I found them to fit lens+board. Then we went shopping for a cooler bag that would hold the plastic containers. Wally World, $12. Holds 3 lens containers. I can put those dry-in-the-oven silica gel canisters in the containers to control moisture. Works for my 120,210,240,300,360, and 19" lenses.

I actually found one container that would fit my 120 and 210 snugly together, and fit in the pocket of my Zone V! bag. Stellar!

You really have to take them along to make sure what you buy fits. Minimal rattling around, and all have lens caps. The board prevents anything banging the shutter, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Stone View Post
    I've found that the small lunch-size containers from Igloo/Coleman/etc. seem to work very well for short-term field storage for LF-related items(in particularly lenses, holders, etc...

I carry my "kit" in a Pelican case, but if wandering farther away from the road with that "full kit" than my sanity will allow, I use a small lunchbox cooler, padded with some semi-rigid rubberized foam(from a cheap yoga mat sourced from the thrift store, same place I got the cooler!)

My "kit" all decked out, ready to go at a moments notice. I made the dividers with easily sourced materials.
    Attachment 127445

The small handheld cooler I use when I only want to carry a few small items( couple of 4x5/5x7 holders, a spare lens or two, and some basic accessories(loupe, meter, etc). Camera gets mounted to the tripod, which gets carried over my shoulder, case in the other hand.
    Attachment 127446

-Dan
    I like using plastic coolers too. I like to roughen them up a bit first by applying a bit of silver duct tape, then tie a rope to the handle and drag it a short distance behind the car (slowly!) The perfect disguise.
    Be aware though that Yosemite bears really can read words like "Igloo" and "Coleman" and plan accordingly.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

I use a reel case from Cabela's. I can fit 6 large lenses on 6 x 6 boards for my 8 x 10.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabel...h-All+Products

BAB

You just made my (cloudy) day. When next in Cabela's i do believe I'll pick one of these up. Room for just about everything I need for large-format work, including a spot meter. Much easier to watch one's gear when it's one place. thanks, BAB

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Dozer View Post
    I use a reel case from Cabela's. I can fit 6 large lenses on 6 x 6 boards for my 8 x 10.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabel...h-All+Products