Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: In what do you carry 4x5 lenses when in the field?

BAB

In what do you carry 4x5 lenses when in the field?

Hi,

Looking for something usable to carry 4x5 lenses when out and about. Mine are mounted on Horseman/Sinar lens boards, and I currently carry them either in an old brief case or wrapped in cushiony lens wraps in a Gregory backpack. All suggestions welcomed, and thanks in advance, BAB.

Re: In what do you carry 4x5 lenses when in the field?

I use a small insulated / padded lunch box from WalMart (it actually belonged to one of my daughters). I carry my 150 and 210 inside, with a small piece of foam between them. And you can't beat purple and pink stripes

Hard lens caps on both ends then wrapped in a padded lens wraps. If I'm carrying all 3 of my lenses (90mm, 150mm and 210mm) with me into the field I put the wrapped up lenses into a small stuff sack that then goes into my backpack.
    Zak Baker
    zakbaker.photo

"Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter."
    Ansel Adams

Well, I'm a photobackpacker client. The padded, zippered boxes work just fine for me.
    Peter Collins

On the intent of the First Amendment: The press was to serve the governed, not the governors --Opinion, Hugo Black, Judge, Supreme Court, 1971 re the "Pentagon Papers."

You could get a nice empty wooden cigar box with a good latch and glue in dividers to separate your lens boards. Cushion accordingly and keep it closed with an old belt.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

BAB

Quote Originally Posted by Curtis Nelson View Post
    I use a small insulated / padded lunch box from WalMart (it actually belonged to one of my daughters). I carry my 150 and 210 inside, with a small piece of foam between them. And you can't beat purple and pink stripes
    I've thought about something like that -- perhaps a padded cooler for beer .

BAB

Quote Originally Posted by Light Guru View Post
    Hard lens caps on both ends then wrapped in a padded lens wraps. If I'm carrying all 3 of my lenses (90mm, 150mm and 210mm) with me into the field I put the wrapped up lenses into a small stuff sack that then goes into my backpack.
    Good idea, however I might prefer something where the lenses wouldn't be stacked, and which could be carried separate from my backpack. Good idea, though. Especially the waterproof stuff sacks.
    Thanks, BAB

BAB

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Collins View Post
    Well, I'm a photobackpacker client. The padded, zippered boxes work just fine for me.
    Might you suggest such an animal? Thanks, BAB

BAB

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    You could get a nice empty wooden cigar box with a good latch and glue in dividers to separate your lens boards. Cushion accordingly and keep it closed with an old belt.
    I thought of building such a box. It would certainly be protective, however my Horseman already fits into a plywood box that probably weighs more than the camera . I was hoping for something a bit lighter. Thanks, though.

I've found that the small lunch-size containers from Igloo/Coleman/etc. seem to work very well for short-term field storage for LF-related items(in particularly lenses, holders, etc...

I carry my "kit" in a Pelican case, but if wandering farther away from the road with that "full kit" than my sanity will allow, I use a small lunchbox cooler, padded with some semi-rigid rubberized foam(from a cheap yoga mat sourced from the thrift store, same place I got the cooler!)

My "kit" all decked out, ready to go at a moments notice. I made the dividers with easily sourced materials.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	57TechnikaKit_web.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	67.0 KB 
ID:	127445

The small handheld cooler I use when I only want to carry a few small items( couple of 4x5/5x7 holders, a spare lens or two, and some basic accessories(loupe, meter, etc). Camera gets mounted to the tripod, which gets carried over my shoulder, case in the other hand.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	igloo.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	31.1 KB 
ID:	127446

-Dan