Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: www.modernenlargerlamps.com

Re: www.modernenlargerlamps.com

These days, you can get 30W+ (250W+ halogen equivalent) white light LED modules for much less than $100. Even if you pop in a few extra diffusors to even out illumination these are still bright enough that they'll do as a halogen substitute on colour or other diffuser box heads. That makes it pretty hard to justify the existence of heads made up of arrays of low power leds...

I built the light source for my scanner using RGB LED strip lights. If memory serves, it's a 6x8" source. It was easy, bright, controllable, and not very expensive.

“You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Quote Originally Posted by Peter J. De Smidt View Post
    I built the light source for my scanner using RGB LED strip lights. If memory serves, it's a 6x8" source. It was easy, bright, controllable, and not very expensive.

Peter, please remind us how you diffused the pinpoints of light.

Thanks!
    Tin Can

The inside of the box is lined with reflective hvac tape. About 2" above the lights is a piece of white acrylic. I can find the specifics on the acrylic if needed. We tried a bunch of things, including a second diffuser, bouncing the lights....but none of that was needed. The spacing of the strips to the diffuser is what's important. If it's too close, then you get hot spots. The reflective hvac taped helped significantly with edge fall-off.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”

Quote Originally Posted by Peter J. De Smidt View Post
    The inside of the box is lined with reflective hvac tape. About 2" above the lights is a piece of white acrylic. I can find the specifics on the acrylic if needed. We tried a bunch of things, including a second diffuser, bouncing the lights....but none of that was needed. The spacing of the strips to the diffuser is what's important. If it's too close, then you get hot spots. The reflective hvac taped helped significantly with edge fall-off.
    Thanks, that good info.
    Tin Can

Hi Jeff,

Was the project worth it? BTW I'm in Cloquet visiting the out-laws and fighting a cold.

Snowy Regards
    Dick

This article on APUG might be of interest.

Quote Originally Posted by Old_Dick View Post
    After getting some Santa dollars, I was looking at going with an LED head for my Omega D5. Their site (www.modernenlargerlamps.com) doesn't come up. Anyone with any incite?
    Sorry about the website being down. I finally upgraded the server to Mac OS X Yosemite and had to figure out how to restart the web hosting application. Should be up and running now.

Here is an update on product availability.

The Model 1a's are available. These are very robustly made of custom machined aluminum and they are essentially bulletproof. They are a direct replacement for the condenser incandescent light source on the Omega D. I've sold maybe 40 of these around the world (they work well on 50HZ with a simple voltage converter) and have enough parts for about a dozen more. By the time these are sold out there may be a direct LED bulb replacement for the PH211 and the Model 1a will be unneeded.

The Model 2's are available. These are also very well made - all wrinkle finish aluminum, no plastic except for the acrylic diffuser - and they have the advantage of being fully tested for uniformity of light both spatially and temporally. They are very well heat sinked which is essential for long and uniform LED life since LEDs generate less light as they get hotter and older. Moreover, they age faster if they are allowed to run hot. The Model 2 uses only 4 high power Cree LEDs.

The future of the Model 3 is up in the air. I use one myself and would never go back. And, to my knowledge, those who have bought one have been pleased with it. It is beautifully made, simple yet powerful and über cool. It does require an Apple iOS device, however, and that is a drawback for many people for legitimate and understandable reasons. It is a lot of work making the Model 3 and keeping the software up to date. With such few sales it may not be worth continuing to offer it.

The Model 2E is discontinued as there was no demand.

Modern Enlarger Lamps will continue to support the traditional photographic community for the foreseeable future. Feel free to contact me at any time.

Just for the record, these look like terrific products. If I had an Omega enlarger, I'd give them very serious consideration. Regarding the model 3, buy an old compatible ipod if you don't have a different ios device.
    Cree leds are very high quality. I'm using the rgb strips because I had tight space requirements. If I didn't have those, I would've gone the Cree route.

I own the Model 3 and am very pleased with it. It is just what I needed for my old Zone VI enlarger. As long as the software is supported I'm probably good for the rest of my life. It is a terrific product.