Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ellis View Post
Yes, he made it up. The notion that courts are "disallowing" digital images is an urban myth that film fanatics like to trot out from time to time in these sorts of discussions.

The fact is that while digital images have presented problems from an evidentiary standpoint, those problems have for the most part been dealt with and digital images are now introduced into evidence pretty much to the same extent and the same way as any record is introduced - i.e. either the parties stipulate or someone authenticates
them.

And of course the notion that "corporations" are switching to film for "important documents" is a vast over-generalization. "Corporations" (whatever exactly that means - is he talking about my little professional P.A.?) do whatever they do without letting most of us know. But I seriously doubt that most corporations have someone who sits around deciding which documents are "important" and which aren't, and then photographs the "important" ones with a film camera.
This winter I have taken two environmental monitoring courses (Neilsen Environmental) where the instructors, who teach and consult on contaminated sites do state that in THEIR experience they have had digital images questions in court and also advise against using either wide angle or telephoto lenses as they are also questioned about accuracy of the scene. I had asked them why digital was acceptable in criminal courts as the forensic in police forces are using digital and they just repeated their personal experience.They had no axe to grind as they were not photographers and actually suggested disposable cameras. They are both considered experts in the field of monitoring wells. Details can be supplied on request if you doubt their credentials. Personally I use digital for my contaminated sites and would never think of a disposable camera. I am just repeated what was stated in two different classes.

Again not sure if those taking photographs for evidence are using large format film as they did use 35mm and last year the Nikon D200 was the accepted standard among the police forces in Canada.