Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jobo 3005 8x10 drum, how do you use it on a CPA/CPP with lift ?

Jobo 3005 8x10 drum, how do you use it on a CPA/CPP with lift ?

Last night I tested developing with my 3005 8x10 drum in a CPA-2 with Lift, and it was quite a experience using it with the Lift.
    I've never relied on the Lift arm with any of the Jobo drums, it's far too flimsy, I've always reached into the
    upper trough and grabbed the end of the rails that the roller blocks are on to lift and drain.

That method works well for the 2500 series and the 3006 expert drum since the rails are longer than the drums.
    I didn't want to remove the drum to drain because I wasn't sure if I'd spill chems into the tempering bath.
    But the 3005 drum is longer than the rails so I had to raise the 3006 drum enough with the Lift handle, hoping the
    handle wouldn't snap or bend off, to get at the rails to finish raising the drum to drain.

In the end it worked, the film developing failed tho ( not enough chems, unknown age Ektachrome ) but there has to be
    a better way someone might have come up with using 3005 drums with the lift.

If you develop 8x10 in the 3005 expert drum how do you use the lift to drain the tank ?
    Last edited by Jim C.; 29-Dec-2014 at 15:37. Reason: corrected drum number

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Re: Jobo 3006 8x10 drum, how do you use it on a CPA/CPP with lift ?

I lift mine with both hands - one for the lift handle and the other on the bottom of the tank with a slightnard pressure to prevent the cog frrpo becoming disengaged. Don't crank down on the handle. Lift t slowly but deliberately.

Thomas

Re: Jobo 3005 8x10 drum, how do you use it on a CPA/CPP with lift ?

Soon to be back in stock.

tgtaylor, ic-racer thanks for sharing the tips, what I was doing is close to what tgtaylor is doing, but ic's seems interesting to try.

In the mean time I'm thinking of pimping the roller block rails, making them longer so I can grab the end and lift.

Quote Originally Posted by koh303 View Post

Soon to be back in stock.
    As soon as I posted my reply I saw your embedded link, bad positioning of the assist handle in my opinion, it looks like it blocks one of the bottles
    and with the shorter expert drums I can just grab the rail bracket, how does it work with the 8x10 tank and the 3063 tank which is the
    largest tank in the expert tank line ?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim C. View Post
    As soon as I posted my reply I saw your embedded link, bad positioning of the assist handle in my opinion, it looks like it blocks one of the bottles
    and with the shorter expert drums I can just grab the rail bracket, how does it work with the 8x10 tank and the 3063 tank which is the
    largest tank in the expert tank line ?
    The video shows a prototype of the handle. Current version is a bit stubbier and does not block bottle, though even this one could be pushed back a couple of CM to clear both #1 and #2 bottles.

The handle works the same way for the the larger tanks as it does with the smaller ones. Use the handle to raise the lift from the far end, thus assisting the lift handle and reducing the strain off the lift handle hub.

get a 1" wide strip of aluminum from the hardware store, bend it in your vice or with vise grips into a handle, attach with a couple zip ties. done
    jobo liked the useless lift handle so much, they put the same thing on the cpp3!

Cordless Bungee Jumper Sirius Glass's Avatar

Mine came with a sheared off handle so I lift all tanks and drums by hand. Two hands if necessary.
    Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

I broke one handle years ago, learned my lesson. Now I give the handle a gentle tug with my left hand just to uncouple the drum, then I immediately grab the rails from underneath with my right hand and take the load off the handle for the rest of the ride up. Same thing whether I'm using the shorter or longer drums. On the way down, I hold the rails most of the way, then use the handle for a brief moment at the end to help guide the drum back on to the coupling. So the stresses on the handle are as gentle and brief as I can make them.

EDIT: I should add, the weight of the 3004 and 3005 drums makes me nervous even using the lift with great care. So I don't use more than 20 oz. of developer. Yes, that means that some diluted developers are off limits because that doesn't allow for enough stock solution. B&W only, though; I don't know how much developer is required by C-41 or E-6.