Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Backpack recommendation for 4x5 kit

Re: Backpack recommendation for 4x5 kit

Sounds like you had an older PBP not the P3?
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings View Post
    +1, I have both the P3 and the Tilopa and the P3 is a good bit more comfortable over the long hauls.

I am fairly sure I had a P3. But I no longer have it to check. I did really like it. And when I first had it I couldn't believe how well it carried. I think maybe it was just that the PBP is a bit bigger than the Tilopa so I was probably tempted to take more than I needed. The slightly smaller Tilopa forces me to focus long and hard on what actually need to carry!
    Although I do remember one day getting all my PBP cases and backer board out and weighing them and was amazed to find they weighed nearly as much as 2 small lenses. My Tilopa ICU is nearly half the weight.

We all work differently and want different things. There is a reason I have both the Tilopa and the P3 among at least two other ways to carry or integrate my 4x5 kit into other systems......there is no one size fits all approach. For example if I am doing an overnight backpacking trip and decide to lug 4x5 instead of 6x6, I will slide in one of my custom backer boards into one of my alpine packs and attach the appropriate cases if I plan to make images enroute...or not and just use wraps or clothing if just making images at the destination. If I am shooting down a high ridge line at 14,000 feet and snowboarding, I will use the Tilopa, it is stiffer and skis better with the lashing points, etc.

I don't buy the 2 lens thing either, LF is always on a tripod so as much as I like the light and fast approach with other formats, it just does not work at all with LF for me because I always see more images as possibilities than what I will scout for so I at least bring a 90, 135 and 240.

As I make a living at this photo game, I don't need to be "forced" into thinking long and hard about what to bring, I just need to grab the right tools for the work I am doing and execute.

I think you are trying to make your approach the approach for everyone, all anyone can do is read it, enter it into their decision making and calculate their choice.

For a 4x5 field system I use a 33 liter pack from JanSport. It's great.

A version of this topic came up a few years ago, probably more in the archives:

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...5-field-camera

I said this because you said you had used your PBP for "ages" but the P3 has only been available since August of 2013 or for just a year and a half-no way to squeeze "ages" into that
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

I said this because you said you had used your PBP for "ages" but the P3 has only been available since August of 2013 or for just a year and a half-no way to squeeze "ages" into that
    Ahhh. Of course! Yes well it was definitely pre 2013 so must have been the earlier model.

Rather than bumping multiple threads, I can bump this one. I have been using a Gregory A40 pack for a few years. Mainly because when traveling I was flying standby and needed something that even when full could be brought on the plane with me, no checking of bags.

That said I always find I could have used a tad bit more room. But I just need to not pack so much stuff!

I have a giftcard to Filson and thinking about getting a side bag, sling type. Like a basic leather messenger bag so that I can have just my 4x5 and 35mm in there. I plan on just traveling with 2 cameras. Prob 35mm and Hassie or 35mm and 4x5. I do like having the Gregory since it is comfortable and good for hiking and walking everywhere when traveling. But it would be nice when that is packed in a locker to have something smaller to just walk around with. Rather than removing all my clothes and stuff and using it with just the camera.

Any thoughts/suggestions? Seems like people don't like the Filson photobags (according to reviews on Filson's site). Although most complaints seem around the dividers inside the bag. I probably would remove all those and just use my own photobackpacker cubes and similar system.

I imagine my camera, 6-ish film holders, pup changing tent (although kept in my main backpack), tripod (which is 24" when folded), film, dark cloth, 2 lens (maybe 90mm and 210mm...or 90mm and 150mm), etc. The tripod I could strap to the side of my main pack, and someway on the messenger bag when walking with just it.

I don't need this soon, but with hoping to travel in the fall, perhaps, it would be nice to find something additional to just my Gregory pack. And of course for when I just want to go out and shoot, I have nothing other than an old mountainsmith I lug around. Thanks for any advice/food for thought.

Quote Originally Posted by appletree View Post

I imagine my camera, 6-ish film holders, pup changing tent (although kept in my main backpack), tripod (which is 24" when folded), film, dark cloth, 2 lens (maybe 90mm and 210mm...or 90mm and 150mm), etc. The tripod I could strap to the side of my main pack, and someway on the messenger bag when walking with just it.
    Domke F2 and get yourself something else from Filson. I like their hats....

Richard Wasserman

https://www.rwasserman.com/

Thanks for replying to my book of text. And thats a nice bag...upon close inspection looks like an American flag on the inside. I love anything made in USA.

I will look into it. Looks like it might fit the bill and is affordably priced.