Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Backpack recommendation for 4x5 kit

walbergb

Backpack recommendation for 4x5 kit

Which backpack would you recommend for a 4x5 kit: Shen-Hao PTB45, 3 lenses on lens boards (90, 150, & 300T), spotmeter, compendium, up to 6 film holders, darkcloth, tripod, and a few smaller accessories. I don't see myself expanding beyond this kit any time soon.

I do a lot of day hiking/biking/ snowshoeing all year round. I have an older Lowepro Trekker AW, but it is too big; comfortable, but overkill. I also have an older Lowepro SlingShot 300. It's a bit too small and the sling back style isn't conducive to all day hiking/biking. I considered the Photobackpack P3, but I think it is too big, also.

Re: Backpack recommendation for 4x5 kit

Have a look at a Lowepro Flipside 400; mine carried a Wista RF, three lenses and a number of Grafmatics.
    It's not too large a pack, cleverly made, and holds a surprising amount of gear.
    It's also quite comfortable to carry all day on your back.
    I use it now to carry 8x10 film holders, and it can fit 8 of them inside the main compartment.

I just use a regular backpack I bought at REI.

The camera I keep in a diy badder holder made from a camping sleeping foam mat, but you may also be able to keep squeeze your camera into a neoprene laptop sleeve. My 3 lenses are each wrapped with some padding and then put into a stuff sack. I then have another smaller stuff sack that holds odds and ends like lens cleaning stuff, cokin filter holder and rings that fit each of my lenses etc. my spot meeter just gets wrapped in my dark cloth. I also have room for film holders, filters small first aid kit and knee pads (probably the best accessory a landscape photographer can have)

A pack from REI is also nice because I was able to get one with a breathable back, and the wast and shoulder straps are more comfortable then any photo backpack I have ever tried.
    Zak Baker
    zakbaker.photo

"Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter."
    Ansel Adams

I have a very similar kit. PTB 4x5 with 5 lenses and many similar accessories. I just bought a Photobackpacker P3 complete with cases for my camera and lenses. Personally, I love it. Everything stores neatly in the pack. If you use the coupon code in the "Photobackpacker is retiring" thread, you can buy a system for less than you might expect.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Dexheimer View Post
    I have a very similar kit. PTB 4x5 with 5 lenses and many similar accessories. I just bought a Photobackpacker P3 complete with cases for my camera and lenses. Personally, I love it. Everything stores neatly in the pack. If you use the coupon code in the "Photobackpacker is retiring" thread, you can buy a system for less than you might expect.
    ditto
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

walbergb

Jeff & Kirk,
    Do you find you have a lot of extra space, especially if you take away two lenses?

As mine is set up for 5 lenses and the rest similar to yours, with a camera box, a PBP 3 lens case and a Gnass 3 lens case....if I removed two lenses and their 3X case it would leave me with a small empty space of about 5"w x 10"l x 6"h which could easily accept my lunch, jacket etc or be left empty. I don't see it as any issue.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Dave Karp

Agreed on the Photobackpacker.

If I took out 2 lenses I would not be at all troubled by the extra space. Like Kirk mentioned, it would give me room for something like a lunch or an extra layer or whatever. The main benifits I see to the PBP system is the excellent protection of my gear and, above all, comfort while on my back. Before buying, I used an REI day pack, a $350 Lowe pro pack that was given to me, a Kelty backpack and a cheap school book backpack. There is no comparison, PBP wins hands down. Once PBP has sold his inventory and fully retired, I wouldn't sell my backpack for less than $10,000 because I wouldn't be able to replace it (Ok, maybe $5k, but you get the point).

Yeah....read that entire Photobackpacker retirement thread, lots of input and real world examples.

I went all out this Summer and upgraded my entire carry system for all three formats which consists of 12 cameras and 36 lenses. I have a very comprehensive / future proof P3 system and an Fstop Tilopa BC with the small and medium ICU's, the latter for ski mountaineering outings. While on a trip on the road for a month that included over two weeks in Death Valley, I had both pack systems. I never used the Fstop pack because the Photobackpacker was working so good, insanely comfortable no matter the weight.

For hiking, snowshoeing, the P3 wins hands down, for climbing or skiing, the Tilopa BC is not to be beat.