Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Instagram? For people like us?

Re: Instagram? For people like us?

Kodak sells a physical product though and as the economy goes up and down it's understandable why it can be hard to stay afloat...I can see why investors would be more interested in instagram though because they don't actually sell a physical product and it's used by the masses for "free". Plus how many people do you know now a days that will be completely willing to delete all social media? For me very few people...so places like instagram and facebook are great places for people to invest because it's like a drug. It's "free" but you are really just allowing third party companies to buy your information.

Good movie to watch on Netflix is "Terms And Conditions May Apply"

Quote Originally Posted by Michael W View Post
    I hate to say it, but one represents the past and the other the future. Professional investors are looking for growth and it's hard to see that in Kodak. The sad thing is, there is no reason why Kodak couldn't have developed something like Instagram, it would fit their core business identity, just seems the management were pushing them in stupid directions like inkjet printers.
    Yeah, I agree. It's too bad, as Kodak did try all sorts of photo sharing systems, although I guess they were all physical systems, as far as I recall.

Still, are the ad opportunities so rich with Instagram that it's worth $35 BILLION? How do they generate any revenue?

I believe they were bought out by investors (facebook) for $1 billion in 2012 when they were just 13 employees working.

When I was using instagram I don't recall any advertisements but if they started using ads then yes it could generate a good amount of income considering how many people/businesses use instagram all over the world. Although I would assume they make more money (since it's a facebook owned program) by selling your information to third parties. (ie, what you search in hashtags, locations, etc) because it could be very profitable for other businesses to buy this information to use to figure out what kind of market there is for certain demographics. At least that's my observation on the topic

Quote Originally Posted by axs810 View Post
    I believe they were bought out by investors (facebook) for $1 billion in 2012 when they were just 13 employees working.

When I was using instagram I don't recall any advertisements but if they started using ads then yes it could generate a good amount of income considering how many people/businesses use instagram all over the world. Although I would assume they make more money (since it's a facebook owned program) by selling your information to third parties. (ie, what you search in hashtags, locations, etc) because it could be very profitable for other businesses to buy this information to use to figure out what kind of market there is for certain demographics. At least that's my observation on the topic
    Yeah, Instagram is all information gathering and selling that information, it doesn't really have much of a marketing scheme as far as advertisement, modern companies also understand that people don't like ads anymore, they used to be fun and only a few of them in between commercials on TV, now we are bombarded by so much that we just skip by it because we can, especially in a feed system such as Instagram or Facebook wall, so gathering information and selling it to other parties is much more profitable and keep people interested in using and contributing more information because they aren't annoyed by ads.

Instagram...isn't that one of those annual medical diagnostics for women? (no offense intended)

I have an Instagram account, like my facebook account, primarily for getting freebies and participating in (non-photo) contests.
    Film, the consistent file format for over a century.

This is my Instagram account:http://instagram.com/nylander_photographs/

I have been using Instagram for about 10 months now, I'm just seeing where it goes, I enjoy posting my work. I'm just trying to get my work and name "out there" and using this as another venue to reach a different audience, although I'm not sure if many of the folks who are true Instagramers will "get" my work, at least its worth a try, its taken me this long to get 54 followers.
    Gary Nylander,

West Kelowna, B.C., Canada
    Blog:http://garynylander.blogspot.com/
    Facebook:https://www.facebook.com/nylander.photo

Gary,
    You have some really nice shots there !

Les

Gary,
    Meziadin Lake rocks!!! Yeah, and I was totally oblivious to it...ripping the road via Casiar Hwy....not the same, but did see some fine eagles. Gots to get out to No BC soon.

Les

Thanks, Daniel and Leszek!
    Gary Nylander,

West Kelowna, B.C., Canada
    Blog:http://garynylander.blogspot.com/
    Facebook:https://www.facebook.com/nylander.photo

Richard M. Coda

Yes, Gary... just saw your "follow" today and I have reciprocated... very nice work!
    Photographs by Richard M. Coda
    my blog
    Primordial: 2010 - Photographs of the Arizona Monsoon
    "Speak softly and carry an 8x10"
    "I shoot a HYBRID - Arca/Canham 11x14"