Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Instagram? For people like us?

Re: Instagram? For people like us?

Thanks, Richard, looking forward to seeing your Instagram posts!
    Gary Nylander,

West Kelowna, B.C., Canada
    Blog:http://garynylander.blogspot.com/
    Facebook:https://www.facebook.com/nylander.photo

I'm at http://instagram.com/davidrmunson

All done with my iPhone, I don't really upload from anything else and don't intend to. The nature of the device lends to the nature of the medium for me. It is lightweight and ephemeral and I like it that way. It's a form of visual journaling that I like for it's casual interaction. I'm not apt to overthink it, and that's a gift from the platform, as far as I'm concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael W View Post
    I hate to say it, but one represents the past and the other the future. Professional investors are looking for growth and it's hard to see that in Kodak. The sad thing is, there is no reason why Kodak couldn't have developed something like Instagram, it would fit their core business identity, just seems the management were pushing them in stupid directions like inkjet printers.
    The sad thing is that Kodak provided jobs for generations of employees, created innovation after innovation for decades, transitioned from pre-war, to WWII, and back to post war needs successfully. Kodak transcended and supplied the markets of amateur, professional, cinema, military, and space companies for each generation. Thousands of research and developers. Thousands of manufacturers. Thousands of salespeople. Thousands of retail stores. Thousands involved with the chemicals, distribution, etc. They created and sustained all this, and is what this forum remnant is about.

Instagram should be called "Instawealth" for the few involved and it's owners, because it's "insta-hype" is all that will keep it going. What do they do? Create a website or something? It's faddish, for mostly amateurs. No pros (well, few). No military, no space, it's all consumer hype. Where will that company, and it's 100 employees be in 20 years? Moved on, I can assure you that.

Well said.

Cordless Bungee Jumper Sirius Glass's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by goamules View Post
    The sad thing is that Kodak provided jobs for generations of employees, created innovation after innovation for decades, transitioned from pre-war, to WWII, and back to post war needs successfully. Kodak transcended and supplied the markets of amateur, professional, cinema, military, and space companies for each generation. Thousands of research and developers. Thousands of manufacturers. Thousands of salespeople. Thousands of retail stores. Thousands involved with the chemicals, distribution, etc. They created and sustained all this, and is what this forum remnant is about.

Instagram should be called "Instawealth" for the few involved and it's owners, because it's "insta-hype" is all that will keep it going. What do they do? Create a website or something? It's faddish, for mostly amateurs. No pros (well, few). No military, no space, it's all consumer hype. Where will that company, and it's 100 employees be in 20 years? Moved on, I can assure you that.
    +1
    I worked at Kodak, but not on film.
    Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

I have a project which I developed and at the urging of my 28 year old son I've been posting images on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook every other day for 6 weeks. You can review samples here if interested? https://instagram.com/stephencollector/ or @stephencollector (on instagram). Or friend me on Facebook - Stephen Collector.
    As for outcome, I have no idea what to expect? I do know that my old pattern of being the proverbial starving artist in the garret with binders of strong negatives, of which, no one is aware hardly ranks as a strategy, yet like the definition of insanity, I keep doing it expecting different results!
    I make prints then digitally scan them. Then get them ready for the web and upload. For instagram you'll need an account with, say Dropbox, which has an iphone app. Then upload to Dropbox and grab images from there. Can answer more specific questions if need be.

I recently got on it,i show my commercial work as well as my film and darkroom images. and images of some processes behind the scenes,(darkroom stuff and studio stuff)used as kind of a journal. A lot of my clients are on there so they enjoy seeing me there.
    The thing i don't like is taking photos of my finished prints,my phone just doesn't do them justice. and i don't like how IG crops the images
    Here is my IG page.. thanks for looking.. https://instagram.com/scdesignstudios/

I got involved with Instagram recently . It's no place for large format stuff .There's no point in shooting 8x10 or larger and reducing it to a 2"x2" image .If you want to show your skills with a cell phone or dslr , you have nothing too loose .If you really want to use it for marketing , you have to either hire someone to spend hours liking other peoples photos , trying to acquire thousands of followers and so on .Remember , Instagram is craking down even on photographers who use DSLR .The last maneuver was to remove or limet the use of hashtags to edited photos . At this time , i believe facebook is a better marketing tool for large format photographers .Remember , 90% of the people who use instagram view the images through a cell phone screen and not a computer . In my page you won't see any large format stuff but you can have an idea of how i view the world trough a lens .Check it out :

https://instagram.com/ederlopesworld

I wasn't aware Instagram was cracking down on dslr uploads and hashtags and don't think that would gain much traction in the community. Gaining followers shouldn't be too onerous and adding proper hashtags is key if you want eyes. Some photographers use Instagram to post work in progress or backgrounder photos of what they're currently working on, a sketch book type of thing.

It's another marketing tool that can be exploited or ignored.
    notch codes ? I only use one film...