Thread: Full frame 4x5 on LPL 4500

Full frame 4x5 on LPL 4500

Hi everyone. I have a Saunders LPL 4500 VCCE enlarger. Normally I don't like leaving in film rebates, filing down the carriers and that kind of thing.

However I have an idea where I'd need to be able to keep the film rebate in when printing 4x5. Like this, so you get that kindof T-shape from the holder.

Anyway I have the glass carrier, but it still crops the whole edge and a bit of the image area too. Is there a different carrier availible, or any other suggestions? Or am I out of luck and maybe need to use a different enlarger for this? The glass carriers on one of the dursts I used did this OK.

Thanks for any help.

-Tadge

I have a glass carrier I use for masking - this is not a glass carrier in a aluminum frame, like the standard Saunders carrier - rather, this is made entirely of glass. The carrier works in my 4500-II (with a custom holder that came with the carrier), and with it you can see the entire negative and more. If you can get your hands on some glass, just have it cut to size, edge sanded so the edges are not sharp, and then use some gaffer tape to tape them together. You may have to cover the edges of the carrier tho, as it may act like a light pipe...

Should be pretty simple, and should do exactly what you're looking for.

Cheers!

I use a bigger format glass carrier (5x7") and mask to the size I like with black paper.

There is no true full-frame carrier available from LPL. I have used an Omega E 5x7 glass carrier in my LPL 4500 II. It's not ideal - the LPL light source is itself just barely adequate to cover the full negative, and in my limited experiments in full-frame printing of 4x5 negatives with my 135 EL-Nikkor, the setup seems prone to a bothersome degree of falloff in illumination at the very edges of the picture. Perhaps it would be a bit better with a longer lens such as a 150.

why do people want the rebate printed??