Thread: Art According to eBay

Art According to eBay

A US mainland info-graphic, article.

http://www.theguardian.com/artanddes...dlin?CMP=fb_gu

Re: Art According to eBay

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Davis View Post
    Very interesting map. I am surprised at the prevalence of Dali in Florida and Picasso in Indiana.
    Something is fishy in that report. Artemisia Gentileschi in Minnesota and Michigan? I suspect she was over-represented because she was a Women's Studies subject in universities of each state.

And the Terry Redlin rash right down the spine? I believe that. What about the states with no data at all - impossible.

A great "illustration" of the power of statistical nonsense. These are interest rankings or topicality rankings, not preference rankings.

Is this author the guy writing the click-bait debating whether photography is art? Yes it is...

Very interesting map. I am surprised at the prevalence of Dali in Florida and Picasso in Indiana.
    The Dali museum is in St. Petersburg, FL.

He states several times that these represent only what eBay finds as the most popular searches. It does not mean anyone is buying anything.
    First, the author of the article states what he wishes or believes, but he is not a credible source of authority as evinced the endless bullshit he has written forever.

The data likely represents more than what 'Bay finds as most popular searches. 'Bay pays Google, for example, to place search hits regardless of the intent of the searcher who may not be looking to buy anything. The search could be looking for historical or academic interest, or incited by a headline, anything but pursuit of a buy. The searcher may never have clicked through. A hit is a hit. I did search studies years ago to report to my client the sites from which queries were coming and what search terms they used. The data cannot be taken at face value.

Nevada searches Peter Lik?

Oklahoma, Mississippi and Alaska don't have E Bay?
    "Sex is like maths, add the bed, subtract the clothes, divide the whoo hoo and hope you don't multiply." - Leather jacket guy