Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: N00b Film Handling question...

N00b Film Handling question...

My daughter mentioned she wanted a view camera, so I found a good sub-$100 one for her (Calumet 45NX). I'm totally new to this, as is she. I plan to give it to her for Christmas. I have the needed accessories and a box of film wrapped and under the tree, but one thing has me baffled before I dive into this with her...

How does one handle the exposed film? Is there a second light-proof plastic bag in the film box to put it in as she takes photos? Should she put the tissues between the film sheets after exposure too? And when she sends the film across the country for processing, is it best to send it all in one bag? I want to go through a complete cycle with her before she goes back to college after Christmas.

Sorry for the very basic question but I didn't see this mentioned in the getting started guide here or the Simmons book, and I didn't know how exactly to search for this on the forum!

Re: N00b Film Handling question...

You need an empty film box to get the exposed film to the lab. Shoot me a PM with your contact info and I will send you one.

Don

PS. shoot film and save the boxes!

Cordless Bungee Jumper Sirius Glass's Avatar

OffBalance welcome to APUG
    Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Thanks guys for the welcome and the offer! Do the labs normally return the boxes with the negatives?

yes

Les

Welcome to the forum. Funny, I have the same camera model. I'm presuming you have a lens on the camera. Yes, you need a changing bag or a specially designed "tent" to be able to upload/download the film from the film holder/s. B&H does have http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?N=10015808&InitialSearch=yes&sts=pi these bags to transport film or local lab (like Panda) will likely give you a box or two for this purpose. I'd probably use one dark sleeve inside another, to prevent any accidental exposure from stray light. Eventually, you'll be able to use the box that the film is sold in, but for time being you need to keep the unexposed film in it.

It would be beneficial if she have a practice session or two before she travels. There are several variables that can come to play, such as bellows could leak light, etc, etc. Good luck and let us know how things went.

Les

Cordless Bungee Jumper Sirius Glass's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OffBalance View Post
    Thanks guys for the welcome and the offer! Do the labs normally return the boxes with the negatives?
    Request that the box be returned to half insure you get the box back.
    Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

lab black

I was taught that when sending film to a lab for processing to shoot two exposures of each subject and then to put one set in box #1 and the second set in box #2. I would suggest having each set processed separately to account for any possible lab mishap. Also, I recommend a pair of cotton gloves be utilized for loading and unloading film to minimize the potential of marks on the film made from our finger tips.
    "We work in the dark, we do what we can, we give what we have."
    Henry James

Cotton gloves can leave behind fibers from the gloves themselves or from things they've picked up.
    Nitrile gloves are a much better option. I always use them when loading film.

I can't image loading film with gloves on...

As you can see, there are a million ways to do the same thing. Don't let our answers confuse you. To answer your original question: You can ship the film in the holders. This leaves you without holders until your negs return from the lab, but for the first box of film it might be the easiest solution. When I put exposed film back in a box (I process my own film, usually straight from the holders), I discard the black bag and the separating sheets. I just use the box (all three parts) and a rubber band. I'm sure other people do it differently.

Good luck and have fun with that new camera!

Michael