Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: WTB: affordable tripod for my 4x5

Re: WTB: affordable tripod for my 4x5

Quote Originally Posted by jzakko View Post
    looking around there were some more expensive ones over 300 without a head, but then I saw this one:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Induro-AKP0-...item259bdbed7e
    is that sufficient for long exposures on windy (not hurricane wind or anything, but a fair breeze) days?
    No, that seems like very low-end stuff.
    I was thinking, at a minimum, this is what I'd recommend from Induro: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search...rch=yes&sts=pi
    Their next largest tripod is the AT413, but that would be more suitable for 8x10.

I've owned Tiltalls labeled Marchioni, Leitz, and Star D, and found all to be reliable. A plastic handle on one broke when the tripod fell onto a cement parking lot, but that was no big problem.

I've always thought that the best reasonably priced tripods for 4x5 are the Leitz TILTALL, and SLIK Pro700 DX, which is a step up from what you've got now. Both have excellent built-in heads. The Tiltall has twist grips, the Slik has flip locks (which I prefer) and a unique quick-release system. Either should last a lifetime.
    Probably just over $100.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

I'm going to have to agree with Ari on this. I have an Induro (the AT213) and it has served me well with my 5x7 on some moderately long exposures. I have even used it with my 8x10 in a pinch but only indoors or very mid conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by Ari View Post
    I used to have an Induro tripod, it was the heavier aluminum version, but at least it was steady.
    They are priced well and offer a decent warranty.
    Build quality has improved, as well.
    This is good to hear, particularly from you. I've had my eye on this brand for awhile. (I like yours though too)

Quote Originally Posted by scheinfluger_77 View Post
    This is good to hear, particularly from you. I've had my eye on this brand for awhile. (I like yours though too)
    My pleasure; FLM tripods are not inexpensive, but that doesn't mean that there are no decent and low-priced tripods available.

I had the Induro AT413 aluminum tripod; it is, by my reckoning, a middleweight. It was ok for carrying over-the-shoulder for a while, but not for too long, certainly not all day.
    It could support my Toyo 810G monorail very well, and was a welcome relief from the crappy-and-unbelievably-heavy Manfrotto (10-12lbs) I had been using.
    It was built well enough and had a 5-year warranty, but the warranty was not really useful.

After about 6 months of using it, I noticed a slight wobble in the tripod plate/center post area. I disassembled it, tightened a couple of screws and it was ok until the next time, when the problem would re-appear.
    And whenever I would remove the centre column to invert it, a retaining ring inside the tripod would pop out; eventually I removed the ring, and this made re-inserting the centre column very difficult, but still possible.
    I took it back to the store that sold it to me; they told me I could send the tripod in for repair/replacement to China, but Induro couldn't (or wouldn't) send me a replacement part.
    That meant being without a tripod for an unknown period of time. I ended up selling the tripod with the caveat, and for much less than I paid for it.
    Maybe Induro has improved this area of their repair/customer service, along with their build quality.

If you go that route, know what you're getting into. In the long run, it's cheaper and better to buy a good tripod once, and for life, than to buy an average tripod three or four times over.
    Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Ari View Post
    In the long run, it's cheaper and better to buy a good tripod once, and for life, than to buy an average tripod three or four times over.
    Amen!

It depends on where you want to go. There appear to be two types of people that shoot outside, those that don't want to venture more than 100 feet from the car, and those who want to photographs things that other people haven't seen, or at least not noticed. That takes some walking, maybe a willingness to go 1-10 miles form the car.

I use Gitzo's because I am in the latter category.. and weight is important to me. I can't stand Tiltall's, I think they are awful, they weigh a ton, and they pinch your fingers nastily if you don't watch out. I dislike those 15 lb wooden tripods as well, for the same reasons. Bear in mind, these are personal opinions, there are plenty of people who love these things.... but they usually like to walk less from the car... (usually, not always).

You will be able to do nothing about the wind, save some sort of windbreak, like an umbrella, or a group of 3 or 4 friends. The tripod won't make a difference. I had a good friend, also a photographer, whose teacher brought in a 100 lb rock that he attached a laser pointer to, to make this point. It was in a city, but in the center of a large building. He pointed it so that the pointer was on the wall and it was clear that it wasn't that stable...

My own opinion is that all tripods work. They are just more or less convenient when it comes to opening the legs, etc. I don't need something that auto-levels the head, but some people do. I especially like the Gitzo legs that lock so you can loosen one part of the leg without having to lock all the others. It's quite ingenious. However, some days I wish Gitzo would make a tripod with levers because that looks even easier... I also like a three way head for 4x5, also I like the ball head for med format, which I rarely do...

The For Sale section here has lots of great used equipment. Plenty of tripods have gone buy in recent months. I'd say take your time. As you get older, you tend to collect the perfect camera, the perfect lens, light meter and tripod. If you do them one at a time you can amortize the cost over a lot of years...

Best of luck,

Lenny
    EigerStudios
    Museum Quality Drum Scanning and Printing

Quote Originally Posted by Lenny Eiger View Post
    I can't stand Tiltall's, .... they weigh a ton, and they pinch your fingers nastily if you don't watch out.Lenny

Actually, they only weigh 6# including the head (you'll have to spend a lot of money to get anything lighter), and yes, they will pinch your fingers -- TWICE, and then you'll learn something and believe me it won't happen again.
    They're still the best for the buck.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Quote Originally Posted by Bill_1856 View Post
    They're still the best for the buck.
    I agree with this--the build quality is great and it has plenty of support weight. Yes it is heavy and uncomfortable to carry but it's hard to beat for $40.