Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Interesting article: "36 Megapixels vs 6×7 Velvia" and 4 x 5

Interesting article: "36 Megapixels vs 6×7 Velvia" and 4 x 5

Re: Interesting article: "36 Megapixels vs 6×7 Velvia"

Thanks for that. Here's another article, from yesterday, I was looking for a place for, and this thread seems to be the place:
    http://petapixel.com/2014/12/18/comp...-film-digital/
    Thanks, but I'd rather just watch:
    Large format: http://flickr.com/michaeldarnton
    Mostly 35mm: http://flickr.com/mdarnton
    You want digital, color, etc?: http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradofear

My only reservation/observation is that the Mamiya 7 used in the test is a rangefinder camera: precise focus is dependent on calibration of the rangefinder mechanism.

I don't know if the lenses for Mamiya RB67 are basically "diffraction limited" IE optimal as are the Mamiya 7 lenses but if they are, the resulting images could be even better than those obtainable from a Mamiya 7. A Pentax 67 might do better also for the same reason.

moiré pattern in the digital test images. What has been done in the digital image processing to result in those images that give the appearance of being higher resolution.

They look digital on the Mac Book Pro display via the web.

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Lee View Post
    My only reservation/observation is that the Mamiya 7 used in the test is a rangefinder camera: precise focus is dependent on calibration of the rangefinder mechanism.

I don't know if the lenses for Mamiya RB67 are basically "diffraction limited" IE optimal as are the Mamiya 7 lenses but if they are, the resulting images could be even better than those obtainable from a Mamiya 7. A Pentax 67 might do better also for the same reason.
    Mirror shake on the RZ needs to be considered more then glass quality. Modern RZ lenses, have usually tested better resolution then 7 lenses, last time i checked.

In any case this is AMAZING stuff. why even bother with so expensive digital stuff when the quality is so low?

Quote Originally Posted by koh303 View Post
    Mirror shake on the RZ needs to be considered more then glass quality.
    The mirror can be locked up, no ?

See http://www.mamiyaleaf.com/assets/fil...Z67_Pro_v4.pdf page 29:

With the RZ 67, it is possible to lock the mirror in the up position beforehand, and at the desired instant release the shutter without the usual accompanying mirror movement. Referred to as “mirror-up operation,” this technique is extremely valuable when desiring to eliminate even the slightest mirror shock...

The mirror can be locked up, no ?

See http://www.mamiyaleaf.com/assets/fil...Z67_Pro_v4.pdf page 29:

With the RZ 67, it is possible to lock the mirror in the up position beforehand, and at the desired instant release the shutter without the usual accompanying mirror movement. Referred to as “mirror-up operation,” this technique is extremely valuable when desiring to eliminate even the slightest mirror shock...
    Yes of course. I guess for testing puproses the RZ is a better tool, regadless, the results of this test just blew my mind away. I knew it all along, but was basing this on 10 year old knowledge and testing. Surely, i told myself recently, technology has leaped ahead and the world is a different place. I guess not.

One must keep in mind that phase one has ~20 years of experience in processing files from digital cameras. Their algorithms are top notch. So the actual raw files might be softer and of course have the bayer grid. A fair comparison would include extensive post processing of the film images.

...I don't know if the lenses for Mamiya RB67 are basically "diffraction limited" IE optimal as are the Mamiya 7 lenses but if they are, the resulting images could be even better than those obtainable from a Mamiya 7. A Pentax 67 might do better also for the same reason.
    No, the 7 wins period. First, its lenses don't need to deal with a mirror box, so they're not retrofocus, enabling extraordinary performance. Second, any camera with a reverse-curl film path suffers from resolution-reducing bulging unless an entire roll is exposed in one continuous burst.

Pentax 67 lenses just don't achieve the same resolution as either Mamiya. See this page

for some numbers.