Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Interesting article: "36 Megapixels vs 6×7 Velvia" and 4 x 5

Re: Interesting article: "36 Megapixels vs 6×7 Velvia"

Difference between those who are interested in the process of making images -vs- those interested in producing expressive images regardless of the technical process involved?

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Miller View Post
    So much agonizing over technical details. I wish people spent as much time working on the artistic side of photography.

Quote Originally Posted by timparkin View Post
    In fact my Mamiya 7 gets pretty close to matching my A7R on an opticfilm 120
    The 5x4 Porta is certainly better in the text and curved lines. But seems less crisp on the straight metal edges, has obvious noise, and has chromatic aberration inside the aperture blades (not the film's problem, but a result none-the-less of the system). How does one factor noise into a resolution test? It does impact resolution, but in the scales here not necessarily in an obviously good or bad way. So hard to make definitive judgements other than they are different.

I wish people spent as much time working on the artistic side of photography.
    What makes you think they don't ?

The person who made these tests writes articles like this one: Taste and Landscape Photography.

Another interesting twist is the amazing amount of detail (resolution) that can be pulled out of deep shadows from a D800E. Much more than I ever could with color film. So's there resolving power in the deep shadows where the film shadows are just blocked up. On the other hand color film still holds more detail in the brightest tones than the D800E.

So do we need to compare resolution in specific tonal ranges? Or what would change if the line pairs were changed from black+white to black+gray, or gray+white? I think we have to remember that tests like these are only valid so long as the test closely mimics subjects we are actually photographing.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Lee View Post
    What makes you think they don't ?

The person who made these tests writes articles like this one: Taste and Landscape Photography.
    I wasn't basing that statement on this single thread.

What if the anti-aliasing filter were to have a slope that is more gradual with constant group delay than what appears to be commonly used, what effects would this have on the digital image. If more resolution is required, increase the number of samples and rate by an order of magnitude rather than trying to squeeze the last possible bit information from the data available.

Bernice

And yes, if you read the articles it mentions that digital has a peak contrast at close to it's nyquist and then drops to zero whereas film's contrast drops slowly as detail gets finer. The grain in film limits applying sharpening too.

Which is why the comparisons weren't really 'interpreted' and no gross conclusion drawn. The results should stand for themselves...

Tim

Still Developing

This seems to come down to priorities. The CMS20 seems to resolve line pairs very well, nut has noise (grain) issues. Mamiya 7 Provia has less noise, but doesn't resolve lines pairs as well. The IQ180 seems to have better resolution of the numbers (6, 8, 100) than the Mamiya 7 Provia and much less noise, but quite a bit of digital artifacting in the line pairs. All of which is seen at a magnification factor that is not declared (unless I missed it) so had to know if meaningful in the real world. One thing I know for sure is that every time I look at my old 35mm Velvia slides I am disgusted and the amount of grain or dye blobs in many skies.

So much agonizing over technical details. I wish people spent as much time working on the artistic side of photography.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/timparkin
    Still Developing at http://www.timparkin.co.uk and scanning at http://cheapdrumscanning.com

hacker extraordinaire

"Preoccupation with the equipment is the hallmark of the amateur"--EWD
    Science is what we understand well enough to explain to a computer. Art is everything else we do.
    --A=B by Petkovšek et. al.

Sorry if you thought my remark (last sentence of the quoted post) was directed at you. It was not, and your work is obviously not all about the technical aspects. My remark was more generic in regards to how much time and effort by people on this site spend agonizing over technical aspects, almost to the exclusion of the creative side. Even in the image sharing threads, which for the most part I ignore, where it seems the most common remark is "what lens was that" or "nice tones".

Still Developing

Definitely not chromatic abberation from the taking lens - The drum scan from my Heidelberg (not available at the minute) doesn't show it.

It doesn't have to be grainy - I didn't noise reduce it that much and the digital had so little textural detail I think it was always going to be smooth. But yes digital is mostly smoother than film. Here's a properly post processed IQ180 vs Mamiya 7 scanned on my Heidelberg at 6000dpi

Magnification is shown in the photos but what you're seeing is probably a 60" print equivalent on screen.

Tim

p.s. Ken Lee posted one article but you might want to look at these too..

https://www.onlandscape.co.uk/issues/

Probably about 5 or 6 deeply geeky lens/camera tests in that whole lot
    Still Developing at http://www.timparkin.co.uk and scanning at http://cheapdrumscanning.com