Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: B&h film promo

Re: B&h film promo

I bought my first camera, a Nikon FM, from B&H, back in 1978 or so, I think

I'm glad to hear that people have had good experiences with B&H and that they feel the store is competitive with other places.

For those who have never visited the physical store, it's a huge place that fronts a whole city block. It has two levels, the first level has TVs, stereos, pro audio equipment, 3D printers, and lighting gear, plus the film department. The film department is towards the back on the first level, and it is a little quiet, I suppose, but if you don't see something on the floor, they can often call it up from the stock room, where it shows up at the counter in a few minutes.

Upstairs is the used department, tripods, bags, and a number of large demonstration areas for every digital camera you can imagine. There are long counters to go to for lenses, memory cards, cameras, etc.

I think margins are low in that business, so you have to move a large volume of product to survive, which they do, very well. They have an overhead order delivery system consisting of plastic cartons that roll on wheeled tracks. You ask for items at the counters, they put the items in a carton, print a receipt, and you pick up the items behind the cash registers, after you've paid. That way, they cut down on theft, and can pass on the savings to everyone.

Perhaps the digital stuff is subsidizing the film stuff a little bit, so be it, if that's what it takes to keep my darkroom supplied. B&H is my local store, so I'm there all the time. I'm always impressed with how they run their business, and how they treat their customers.

I've ordered from B&H many times going back to the 1970s. I've never had a problem. Back in the telephone order days I'd occasionally get the gruff New Yorker but got some really friendly folks too.

The only issue I have with them now is all the darkroom stuff they won't ship, so I end up getting it from Freestyle. That's ok as I want to support them too, and do. I understand the business decision, with a store the size of B&H, not wanting to get the hazmat training for the whole shipping staff - at least I've heard that's the reason. But from my point of view there's a lot of stuff I use that I just can't get from them so I get it elsewhere.

He sounds pretty smug there at the beginning. Still, I prefer freestyle.
    I'm armed with a Wisner 4x5 Technical Field and a lot of hope. I got this. Oh, and my name's Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by vinny View Post
    They took the only nice b&h employee and put him in a video.
    I just placed an order today.
    They've always been nice to me, and I'm a grumpy old man.

At the risk of being incendiary, let's remember that they're New Yorkers.
    Bruce Barlow
    author of "Finely Focused" and "Exercises in Photographic Composition"
    www.brucewbarlow.com

2 Bit Hack

Let's just hope that this is not just a ploy to clear existing stocks before shutdown. (said Chicken Little)

All my film comes from B & H, and some gear. Never had a problem with them.
    Regards

Marty

I always liked B&H. If for nothing else then for their Jewish identity. It used to be "my" store in the late 90', then I diversified to other sources. Nowadays they are for me "the" source of the film.
    I don't think for a moment that they "moved completely away from the film" - instead they just logically follow the market. Nothing is more natural for a shop, is it?

I've never had bad, grumpy or rude service from anybody at B&H, and besides being a long-time customer, I am also a supplier.
    Their kindness, helpfulness and attention to detail are present in both facets of my relationship with them.

Richard M. Coda

I bought my first 4x5 (Omega 4x5D) from them in 1982 right after I graduated college, with my first paycheck! Bought a few lenses form them and lots of film. Used to love going there in the 1980s!
    Photographs by Richard M. Coda
    my blog
    Primordial: 2010 - Photographs of the Arizona Monsoon
    "Speak softly and carry an 8x10"
    "I shoot a HYBRID - Arca/Canham 11x14"

Used to buy a lot from Freestyle but when B&H improved shipping rates to Canada etc., well they now get all my business. Freestyle simply won't budge on shipping rates to Canada and it's costing them business as I know many won't shop there because of the high shipping fees.

Been a very long time since I set foot in the brick and mortar and I really should visit next time I'm in NYC.
    notch codes ? I only use one film...