Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Peter Lik deserves our skepticism

Re: Peter Lik deserves our skepticism

I knew we would get there.

I thought it.
    Tin Can

In the 1890s the estimate was "there's a sucker born every minute." That was when there was only 1.7 billion people in the world. Now, there's 7 billion. And I haven't seen any indication at all of a lower propensity of suckerhood. That means, today, there's a sucker born about every 14 seconds.

ps. If anyone held the rope while rock climbing like Mr. Lik does, he'd be dead.

Nailed what exactly? Googled pictures of antelope canyon applied a few curves in PS and used his "fame" to make a big sale in his private gallery? Let's see how well he does at open auction.

Soooo I have been publicly skeptical of this sale on a couple of forums including Facebook. Yesterday I received this email:

Name: richard
    Sender Email: justfYI@me.com
    have noticed that everyone reads only so far … the curse of Social Notworking?

here:
    “”””"
    These sales may be confirmed through the buyer's counsel, Joshua Roth.

"Our client is a long-time collector of Lik's works and is delighted to add these one-of-a-kind photographs to his impressive collection," said Roth.

Joshua Roth (Art Attorney / Corporate Lawyer)

Associate

Los Angeles (main)

t: 310.282.6292
    f: 310.785.3292
    jroth@glaserweil.com

http://mailresponder.sitewelder.com/...2M5YmVcIl19In0

“””"
    about attorney:

http://mailresponder.sitewelder.com/...UwMjRkXCJdfSJ9

This email was sent via your SiteWelder Mail Form. If you wish to reply to this user, simply hit reply in your mail program.
    What i find funny about this is the assumption that mentioning the lawyer precludes this being a scam as if no lawyer would participate in a scam.......
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Quote Originally Posted by RodinalDuchamp View Post
    Nailed what exactly? Googled pictures of antelope canyon applied a few curves in PS and used his "fame" to make a big sale in his private gallery? Let's see how well he does at open auction.
    Many of the photos on the LFF have been graced with PS. LF Analog photography has become a digital slave. Scan, clean, manip. and save.....Peter nailed his target market (well to do travelers (tourist)) with brilliant prints of places they may never see. The images are seen in splendid light. He isn't selling to the elite. He is selling to the people that can pay for the print in cash. And it's working for him...

I know you are probably playing devil's advocate. Yes it is true PS is a seemingly necessary evil for some people. I feel like I've seen Lik's image a hundred times over

Here is one image from Clyde Butcher which I find to be even more interesting.

Lik is a great salesman. A tremendous marketer. A decent photographer, but an artist he is not.

2 Bit Hack

Personally, I could care less about Lik or his work, or his success. It serves no purpose. There is nothing to learn here.
    I am heading that way shortly. I will ask the guide to steer me AWAY from that particular canyon.....if I even go there.
    I am surprised that one can only go there via a guide. I am curious to see how Lik's success will influence the business there.
    Hopefully I will be able to get in and out of there with both arms and all my fingers....and a somewhat full wallet.
    Regards

Marty

I'm
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb View Post
    Whether he did or didn't make the sale, I think the question is whether it means anything in terms of the fine art/investment market, since there isn't much of a secondary market for the photos. If the prints aren't sold at auction or by an independent gallery and aren't particularly collected by museums, then it's more in the realm of decor like Kinkade, Wyland and such.

It can also be a ploy to create an investment market (for instance, a collector of Peter Lik prints could pay an outrageous price for one print to pump up the value of the rest of his collection), but it doesn't seem to be one that the high-end gallery world is likely to buy.
    Well the above statement does not sound like jealousy to me, just someone who is in touch with reality.

The saying that people are jealous thing is truly ridiculous, I am far from that and if anything this nonsense motivates me to be even more innovative in how I present my work and my self. But yeah, generally speaking, he is super over rated. Antelope Canyon is one of "those" places too in that if I can't bring something stunningly fresh from the place then why even bother.

Quote Originally Posted by paulr View Post
    Researchers speculate that Drew is an advanced artificial intelligence algorithm that can spontaneously generate jeremiads on any topic.
    It seems to be functioning perfectly.
    That....is truly hilarious!

I wonder what he'll say when the IRS come for their cut?

2 Bit Hack

Probably laugh in their face. He is not a US citizen.
    Regards

Marty