Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Thread: Peter Lik deserves our skepticism

Re: Peter Lik deserves our skepticism

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    It's all about marketing sheer ostentation. If he were a singer, he'd be Lady Gaga, but with the voice of a frog.
    Lady Gaga handled 'Sound of Music' pretty darn good last night. You almost couldn't see her tattoos and Julie Andrews did not throw up. Julie Andrews is a very difficult act to follow.
    Tin Can

Drew Wiley

I saw a tad of that. She can sing. I just don't care much for that genre. My boss once sadly recited the headline when Julie Andrews lost her voice. I told him that
    was the best new I heard all day. But my analogy was that Lik can do all the ostentatious costuming and posturing, the wild hair-dos to attract attention and
    establish an over-the-top reputation, but can't sing at all.

For all of you, who don't like Peter Lik's photography - how long do you need to beat the dead horse? Or, in other terms - what else is new?

Drew Wiley

This is one dead horse that deserves not only beating, but having its ashes dug up and thrown to the winds.

Can't the OP ask for it it to be closed?
    Tin Can

He's using these quantities hypothetically, to imply a volume of demand that probably isn't even remotely there. Just like claiming staggering sales prices for certain images when his galleries would be happy to drop the price 95% if you pull out the checkbook and start to haggle. Yes, there's some kind of bottom line
    involved, due to the overhead, and it would seem a lot like buying a car. Only in this case, you pay for a Ferrari but get a Fiat.
    He sells $1.6 million per month. At $4,000 each that's 400 prints per day. That's a pretty darn good volume of demand I would say. Let's say he has 400 images that he is actively selling, that gets us to 1 print per day of each image. Each image then would, on average, reach it's edition max in about three years.

This is one dead horse that deserves not only beating, but having its ashes dug up and thrown to the winds.
    You underestimate the intelligence of forum members - at least of some of them.

My last comment on this is that anyone who prefaces an interview by stating "I'm the world's most famous photographer, most sought-after photographer, most awarded photographer" instantly loses credibility with me. I had never heard of this individual until the recent thread about his "$6.5" million dollar print.

Never heard of this guy. Spent some time looking at his website. http://www.lik.com

His photos are very good for the style that they are in - I call it "Windows Wallpaper". Others call them "Postcard Shots." You get the idea.

It shouldn't surprise anyone that aggressive marketing combined with an immensely popular type of photography ends up selling.

Is it really "art" though? I fail to see any deeper meaning behind his images. Call it "pop art" I guess. Just like pop tarts. Sweet, colorful, and I love consuming them, but in the end very little real substance.

It is what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodhoundbob View Post
    My last comment on this is that anyone who prefaces an interview by stating "I'm the world's most famous photographer, most sought-after photographer, most awarded photographer" instantly loses credibility with me. I had never heard of this individual until the recent thread about his "$6.5" million dollar print.
    Is that what he said? I'm not sure it's for him to make such a statement.