Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 24" aero ektar qustion

Re: 24" aero ektar qustion

Quote Originally Posted by tyler View Post
    Yes i know it is. But isnt it an image circle? So if it covers 24" in a 20x24 wouldnt it also cover those 4"? Also you seem to know how i can get in contact with 20x24 studios to purchase some polaroid film.
    Gotta compare the diagonal

sqrt(24^2 + 24^2) = 33.9"

sqrt(20^2 + 24^2) = 31.24"
    Newly made large format dry plates available! Look:
    https://www.pictoriographica.com

Unnnn . . Anyone: .What focal length is ugenerally sed on the Polaroid 20x24 studio cameras?

For your intended purpose, Tyler: Is it absolutely necessary to shoot at infinity? A 20x24 would be a difficult rig to work with outside at a scenic overlook. I would imagine a set-up involving a van or trailer that doesn't need to be dismounted, just an open the door and shoot sort of arrangement.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

For really large coverage, I follow one of two rules for non wide angle lens types:

1. Get a lens as big around as your head.

2. Get a lens that's focal length is at least 10% - 20% longer than the longest edge of the format. (a 12" lens is considered normal for 8x10).

1200mm Hermagis

Drew, the vast majority of our work is done with a 600mm (short normal).
    Tyler, www.20x24studio.com, for NY, and of course, www.mammothcamera.com (20x24 West) for me in San Francisco.

I'll reitterate, I don't think the Aero-Ektar will be good for 24x24 for anything remotely near-infinity. Some of them come in massive shutters from the aerial cameras(these shutter housings are something like 9-10" in diameter and the aperture and shutter controls are on the back of the shutter, they were operated via cables in the planes). If you are lucky enough to find one in a smaller mount, you will need a Packard shutter with an opening of 4-5" (the f/6 Aero Tessar I had, had glaass 4" in diameter 24" f/6 = 4" )
    Tracy Storer
    Mammoth Camera Company tm
    www.mammothcamera.com

Most aero lenses of this size appeared in a Fairchild K38 leaf shutter. The leaves on these shutters are fast and powerful enough to cut off a finger.
    They are HUGE and heavy generally not suitable for used on the typical view camera. Majority of these lenses don't fit or work well on formats larger than 9"x18" which was one of the standard aero formats.

The standard lens on the 20x24 Polaroid camera was a 600mm Fujinon in a Copal# 3 shutter. Alternatives would be 30" or longer process lenses like Artar, Ronar and others. The 19" Dagor (kinda rare) will also cover. Modern would be the Schneider XXL fine art. Other lenses ring back to the days of 20x24 wet plate photography.

Beyond Packard shutters, there were similar shutters used on large process cameras.

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy Storer View Post
    Drew, the vast majority of our work is done with a 600mm (short normal).
    Tyler, www.20x24studio.com, for NY, and of course, www.mammothcamera.com (20x24 West) for me in San Francisco.

I'll reitterate, I don't think the Aero-Ektar will be good for 24x24 for anything remotely near-infinity. Some of them come in massive shutters from the aerial cameras(these shutter housings are something like 9-10" in diameter and the aperture and shutter controls are on the back of the shutter, they were operated via cables in the planes). If you are lucky enough to find one in a smaller mount, you will need a Packard shutter with an opening of 4-5" (the f/6 Aero Tessar I had, had glaass 4" in diameter 24" f/6 = 4" )

Thanks for elaborating, I hate repeating myself.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bernice Loui View Post
    Most aero lenses of this size appeared in a Fairchild K38 leaf shutter. The leaves on these shutters are fast and powerful enough to cut off a finger.
    They are HUGE and heavy generally not suitable for used on the typical view camera. Majority of these lenses don't fit or work well on formats larger than 9"x18" which was one of the standard aero formats.

The standard lens on the 20x24 Polaroid camera was a 600mm Fujinon in a Copal# 3 shutter. Alternatives would be 30" or longer process lenses like Artar, Ronar and others. The 19" Dagor (kinda rare) will also cover. Modern would be the Schneider XXL fine art. Other lenses ring back to the days of 20x24 wet plate photography.

Beyond Packard shutters, there were similar shutters used on large process cameras.

Bernice
    Tracy Storer
    Mammoth Camera Company tm
    www.mammothcamera.com

I have no real expertise in this area; coverage for ulf formats. Today I spoke with some friends who meet for coffee and photo talk and . . .

The consensus was that the largest serial cameras used roll film no larger than 9 inches wide. While I do not actually know . . just thinking it all over, .it would seem to that an Aero-Ektar, of whatever focal length, would not be designed to cover 24x24 inches.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Bedo View Post
    The consensus was that the largest serial cameras used roll film no larger than 9 inches wide.
    USAF's largest formats were 18" x 18" and 18" x 36". I have USAF spec sheets on four lenses for these formats, three with lens' cross-sections. All four made by Perkin-Elmer, the three with cross-sections all heliar types.

9" x 18" was the largest in common use.

Thanks for that info. So 9x18 . . .I am not clear about what that would mean regarding the coverage of a 24" Aero Ektar.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Bedo View Post
    Thanks for that info. So 9x18 . . .I am not clear about what that would mean regarding the coverage of a 24" Aero Ektar.
    sqrt(9^2 + 18^2) = 20

The lens seems to have been a tessar type. If so, it might have been made for 9x18 but 9x9 is more likely. However, I'm speculating with no solid data to go on.