Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Best fiber papers available

Best fiber papers available

Can anyone suggest a fiber paper. I'm not thrilled with Ilford MC FB. How is the Adox paper? And, not familiar with Arista paper either which I see can be purchased at Freestyle in California.
    My goodness, the prices for 16x20 are stunning!!!

Re: Best fiber papers available

[QUOTE=Stephen Collector;1194892]Can anyone suggest a fiber paper. How is the Adox paper? [QUOTE]

Excellent! Works well with Ansco 130.

I have used the Adox MCC 110 developed in Dektol. Gave me beautiful results. I also love the results I get from ilford paper, so what I consider a great result may differ from you.

Regarding cost, it is really cheap considering you are getting a sheet of fine art paper coated with a variable contrast emulsion. Uncoated inkjet papers can cost as much.

Eric Biggerstaff

I am a fan of the Adox as well as the Foma Fomabrom Varient. It all depends on the tone you are looking for. I find the new Ilford Classic to be an excellent paper, much different from the MGFB IV.
    Eric Biggerstaff

www.ericbiggerstaff.com

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Collector View Post
    I'm not thrilled with Ilford MC FB.
    Which Ilford MC FB? Are you aware that MG IV FB was recently replaced by MG FB Classic? Have you tried MG FB Warmtone or MG FB Cooltone?

Quote Originally Posted by Oren Grad View Post
    Which Ilford MC FB? Are you aware that MG IV FB was recently replaced by MG FB Classic? Have you tried MG FB Warmtone or MG FB Cooltone?
    " I have used the Ilford MG warm tone and thought it was good. I was a huge fan of Agfa Portriga and later of Forte's Fortezo Glossy surface. I would also be very content with the old Agfa Brovira today for a cold to neutral toned paper.
    I am under the impression that Adox for all intent and purposes is Afga Brovira?

Stephen, The simple answer is that nothing today is like those old papers. I still have a small and diminishing stash of Fortezo which I love. The Adox papers are variable contrast, unlike Brovira. They are very workable....but so are all the other handful of currently available papers. For my negatives & choice of developers (Ansco 130 / Amidol / LPD/Compard WA/ BW65) I get better results with Fomabrom Variant 111, & the new Ilford Cooltone. Good luck with your paper quest.
    Last edited by Greg Y; 7-Dec-2014 at 19:09.

Isn't one of the Adox papers a reincarnation of AGFA 111? Because that paper in Ansco 130 was a favorite of mine.

Eric Biggerstaff

I think your best bet is to purchase a small amount of several different papers and use them to print the same image, then test for your favorite toner and compare. The best paper is the one that works for you and gets the image you want. There are not that many papers left to try - Adox, Ilford, Foma, Seagull (whoever is making it) and maybe one or two others. Freestyle carries dang near everything that is available.
    Eric Biggerstaff

www.ericbiggerstaff.com

Quote Originally Posted by David R Munson View Post
    Isn't one of the Adox papers a reincarnation of AGFA 111? Because that paper in Ansco 130 was a favorite of mine.
    I doubt anything could be the reincarnation of Afga Brovira. However, the little bit of Foma 131 I've used recently makes me think it has possibilities. Even though it's warm toned the glossy surface on this paper is alluring. Every time I pick up one of the prints I made with this paper for my recent show, I find myself saying "Ooo, nice" it's the 131.

Eric Biggerstaff is right, get a selection of the papers available and try them out, you may be surprised.

Steve