Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: San Francisco LFP get together

Re: San Francisco LFP get together

I'll show my approach to the "Zone System"...

Zone System metering and "N" notation when shooting (standard Zone System by any teacher's method).
    Sensitometry to make a Time/Contrast Index chart.
    A Kodak chart to pick Contrast Index based on Paper "LER" and "N" notation.

Quote Originally Posted by Lenny Eiger View Post
    I went to that last one... The get-togethers for the meetup group, with a couple of exceptions, have been for the purpose of shooting. We always get together and yak for lunch, or more if we are camping...

This one in San Francisco seemed a bit on the didactic side for me... almost as if it were to help people just starting out. However, there was only one or two newbies there, the rest were old hands. If the purpose is to help people new to LF, then it should be stated so. If there is a question and answer session on the zone system, then everyone should know going in.

Of, of course, there is some other purpose, then that should be outlined....
    Hi Lenny - yes there were a few newbies and then the old hands. I enjoyed seeing the prints made with different processes. I agree we should be very clear what the "talk" is about and then have general print share and open time afterwards. Of course a shooting trip would be great to organize as well - but it's hard to find a time that works - for example I have a hard time getting away on the weekends while others can only go then.

Broken record here: but for people not in the City, weekday late afternoons / evenings just won't be worth it, especially now with the "boom time in the City" making even more commuter traffic.

Quote Originally Posted by richardman View Post
    Broken record here: but for people not in the City, weekday late afternoons / evenings just won't be worth it, especially now with the "boom time in the City" making even more commuter traffic.
    Let's see if we can make it a weekend this time.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Burk View Post
    I'll show my approach to the "Zone System"...
    Hi there Bill. This is exactly what I was talking about... I think one needs to figure out who would go to such a meeting.... and whether the prospects would be interested in such a presentation.

I'm sure you have a wonderful presentation, but I did this exercise in the late 70's, and taught it to many college students over the years. I don't need to tune my techniques, I am getting 20 out of 20 nicely exposed and developed sheets when shooting... so I wouldn't be interested in this... If you find that you are starting a group that are beginners in large format, this would be terrific for them.

My sense of the group last time was of the dozen or so people that showed up, that there were 2 newbies, one which I brought with me. There were maybe a couple of others that could have used a tune-up. If I am correct then 3/4 of the attendants (if the same people showed up) would be bored by this presentation.

If you advertise it as a large format "learning" class, then maybe not... For a more advanced presentation, one might schedule a panel discussion, an argument between two opposing views, or an interview with a well-known photographer. The meetup group did mostly nothing but meet up and do something together, and this was plenty for all of us. I'm not suggesting one or the other, but I do think its important to understand what the demographic is and design the purpose of the group to meet their needs...
    EigerStudios
    Museum Quality Drum Scanning and Printing

Quote Originally Posted by Lenny Eiger View Post
    Hi there Bill....
    Well, there doesn't need to be a lecture.

I think Bill is joking. In an earlier post, he said he would show us a project he's been working on. I'm about to embark on my first project and would love to hear about his approach (i.e., how he went about shooting his particular subject matter and things to keep in mind when working on a project, etc).

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Burk View Post
    That works for me. I WILL have my "presentation" together in time for that. "Calling your shots" or "Divided attention" are the working titles...

Somebody told me that I have to throw out the whole "left brain" "right brain" theory... So I have some more work to do. But at the very least I'll have handouts.
    --Mario

I rather meet up, shoot the breeze, chit chat, than learning anything, to be honest. May be do a "everyone shows a print and talk for 2 mins max"

Quote Originally Posted by richardman View Post
    I rather meet up, shoot the breeze, chit chat, than learning anything, to be honest. May be do a "everyone shows a print and talk for 2 mins max"
    I'd do that too.

Either way, I like meeting other LF shooters. I don't see enough of us here "in the wild."
    --Mario

How about a few people share projects and the rest bring prints?

I like the way the last time we had a panel discussion going. I liked when the talk turned to the relative merit of silver gelatin compared to alt processes. Which alt process to try was a really good question.

No, I don't want to take more time than anyone else. 2 minutes and a handout is appropriate.