Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: differences between Zone VI 4x5 models

differences between Zone VI 4x5 models

Thank you Eugene!

I ended up buying a Zone VI, vermont model with brass fittings. I was originally looking at a Tachihara or Shen Hao, but this one had some extras included at a good price. Anyway, I think I will try to publish more detailed info on the web. Do the articles from view camera have info published on the movements, extention, etc?

-Darin

Octogenarian

Darin,

Is it made with walnut, or mahogany wood? Calumet still sells new mahogany lensboards for the Zone VI cameras. K.E.H. (www.keh.com) frequently has previously owned Zone VI lensboards for sale, in both walnut and mahogany. The stats. for the Zone VI camera are almost identical to those of the Wisner Traditional model that are published on the Wisner website (www.wisner.com). Enjoy your Zone VI camera. You made a good choice.

Eugene - I looked at Anthony's web site. Very clever. He says it isn't a Wista, it isn't an Ebony, it isn't a Wisner, it isn't a Canhm, etc. etc. Of course he never says what it is - a Tachihara.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

I too remember the Zone VI camera before Zone VI had cameras made in the USA as a modified Wista. I owned one for several years and believed it to be very similar to the Wista DX, with an improved tripod socket.

The resolution to the Tachihara / Wista debate is in the Jan/Feb 2003 View Camera article by Richard Ritter that was cited by Brian. There were two cameras relabeled by Zone VI before they designed a camera with Wisner. The first was a Tachihara, which R. Ritter says was sold from about 1978 to 1980. This was followed by a Wista, sold by Zone VI from 1980 to 1985. So item "1" in the Jay's numbered list should be split into two cameras: a Tachihara, then a Wista.

Calumet's latest paper catalog still lists the Zone VI Ultra Light, along with pages of other cameras and LF lenses. So LF photography isn't dead at Calumet!